Confederate Statues

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Aug 17, 2017.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

And then?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Where is that dude anyway. Haven't seen him around.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

mancha likes this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Really? If you were a black parent, and your black child asked you about one of those statues, you think a better example is to play the poor angry victim card, then to explain what happened, and then say, despite what's happened in the past, look what you can be now? I feel sorry for your children.

HalloweenRun and Winston1 like this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

That's a false choice.

Why can't she BOTH explain what happened and still be in favor of taking them down?

Let's see.... if Obama's Administration erected a statue on your courthouse lawn that said "every white person in this city is subhuman" you think you would be OK with that? Would you just explain to your children that "hey, that's just history, let me explain how it happened"?

6. Rex

Rex Founding Member

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

She explained why exactly. You just aren't being intellectually fair-minded enough to allow another's point of view. And you want to talk about a false choice? That "subhuman" bullshit you're talking about is YOUR INTERPRETATION of what the statues say. I was in college during the South Africa Apartheid outrage. A couple of black men who had gotten out did a speaking engagement on our campus, and one of them showed me a card all black people in SA were required to carry. It said - and I mean, this was printed on the card - "BECAUSE YOU ARE BLACK..." and then went on to specify the basic human freedoms they were denied. That, my friend, is being called subhuman, not the abstract meaning of a 130-year old statue.

LSUpride123 and Bengal B like this.
  8. Rex

Rex Founding Member

She's entitled to her opinion. She doesn't, however, speak for all black people and she can't negate the insult.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

No. She cant negate YOUR insult or YOUR white guilt. You are right. You become triggered by what you choose.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Guess what? MANY of those statues in this country were erected during a time when black people in this country couldn't use the same bathrooms, drink from the same water fountains, couldn't attend the same schools, had to ride at the back of the bus.... BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK. Are you suggesting people in South Africa should abide statues telling them they're inferior to whites? Because it's their history? Well, that's EXACTLY what those statues HERE say. Those are men in Confederate uniforms fighting to keep people enslaved BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK.