Confederate Statues

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Aug 17, 2017.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You're up in that area of the country, right? If this was "unthinkable until now" its logical to assume that there's been no outcry to remove them, and by extension, no violence or unrest surrounding them. Now the mayor says (bullet-point in the story headline) "he would not allow the city 'to be threatened by white supremacists and neo-Nazi thugs.'" But we're led to assume their have been no such threats. Well, what does this guy think is going to happen if he starts this process? This sounds to me like he's instigating trouble.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  2. mctiger

Contrast her words and her attitude with the anger of those who want to tear monuments down. Who has a better vision for our society?

3. Rex

Rex Founding Member

I would agree with all those things... but it still doesn't address the problem that blacks in this city are subsidizing monuments that were erected specifically to offend them.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

especially when politicizing the tragedy. It never has been about slavery it seems

mctiger likes this.
  5. mctiger

Well then, allow me to teach you something about your own city: https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/richmond/monumentavehd.html
    Most of the statues in this display were erected between 1890 and 1920, not following the Civil Right Act era as you have repeatedly claimed. Furthermore, the most recent addition to the display, in 1996, honors Richmond native and African American Arthur Ashe. Strange addition to a display which purpose, as you say, is "specifically to offend (black people)", don't you think?

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Fact overload.

7. Rex

Rex Founding Member

You're misrepresenting what I've said... not unusual on this site.

As I've said, Confederate statues across the country were largely erected in the Jim Crow and anti-Civil Rights years.... specifically to assert the nobility of the fight to keep black people enslaved... a deliberate affront to black Americans.

Nobody was talking about the Arthur Ashe monument.

8. mctiger

Then cite some examples of Confederate monuments erected during that time. I have no indication that these monuments in Richmond went up for the reasons you profess, no indication that they're causing any of the social unrest we're seeing in some other places, and of course you're not talking about a monument to Arthur Ashe in the middle of a street full of monuments to hate, as you claim, because its very existence proves you wrong! A city that erects statues to proclaim its hatred of black people doesn't follow up with a monument to a black person!

Winston1 likes this.
  9. Rex

Rex Founding Member

That's a non sequitur.

10. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Those who want to tear down monuments to racism that should never have been erected in the first place.