Confederate Statues

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Aug 17, 2017.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

NC sells beds that will do more for your sleep. Give him a ring.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

[​IMG]
    upload_2017-8-23_13-5-25.png

Attached Files:

LSUpride123 likes this.
  3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And another case of nitwits getting in the discussion....

New York City Mayor Mayor Bill de Blasio has announced a 90-day review by a commission of all "symbols of hate" on city property.....The move has opened questions about a variety of monuments in the city, including a 76-foot statue of Christopher Columbus in the heart of Manhattan's Columbus Circle. City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito said on Monday she thought Columbus' history and treatment of indigenous people in Caribbean "has to be looked at."

I will wait for the commission, as I said Christopher Columbus is a controversial figure to many of us particularly in the Caribbean and I think that that has to be looked at, when you have to look at history we have to look at it thoroughly and clearly," she said.

and.......

De Blasio was also asked Tuesday if the tomb of Ulysses S. Grant in the city should also be considered for removal, over claims of anti-Semitism for an order he gave during the American Civil War expelling Jewish people from the area of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Grant later apologized for the order.

The mayor said he was not "familiar with that history" but, "we don't tolerate anti-Semitism in New York City."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...-considered-for-removal/ar-AAqBIuW?li=BBnb7Kz

Jeebus H Feist. So now we have to worry about Caribbeans? Interesting that Mark-Viverito says, "many of us in the Caribbean". Wait, isn't she here in America? Being paid by American taxpayers? Look bitch, complain all you want about Columbus statues in the Caribbean. But leave that argument at the door of your American city council chambers.

And US Grant? Lol. Like I said, it wasn't about Lee or the others. It's about crazy people establishing an agenda based on dissolving what America is.

StaceyO, Winston1 and el005639 like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

We do if we don't want them to use voodoo to turn us into zombies.

HoopHound likes this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Wait, what? Don't you have any fake photos with which to smear Mr. DiBlasio?

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

So I have a question for those who maintain slavery wasn't the reason for the Civi War. Which of the many other issues between the north and south would have been contentious enough to spark secession????
    Yes there were other issues, trade, taxes, tarriffs but none struck at the heart of the southern economy or society like slavery. Slavery supported the economic position of the planters and the aspirations of those without. Even those without slaves hoped to own them as ownership of even one meant you had a measure of prosperity and could move up in society.
    Likewise the disputes over slave status in states joining the union was in such great dispute because the southern leadership understood that the explosive growth of the north threatened the institution of slavery. Slavery was the heart and soul of the secession. To claim otherwise is ludicrous. It could only be justified by claiming blacks weren't fully human; a proposition that still haunts us today and one of the continued dark stains on us.
    That being said I fully support keeping the statues in New Orleans. PGT Beauregard, Lee and to an extent J Davis were remarkable men and served the US heroically most of their lives. Beauregard especially was a hero of New Orleans after the war and deserves a statue for that alone. He did more for the city than that craven idiot little moon. He and Lee as well as Longstreet we're leaders of reconciliation and integration for the rest of their lives.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Pretty sure 99% who said that said it's not only about slavery.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The Beauregard statue was where I had the greatest objection. New Orleans native who actively worked for reparation after the war. Like Lee, he was a professional soldier who only owned slaves through marriage into a wealthy family. I also objected to removal of the Lee statue, because of its iconic place in the city and because Lee gets a raw deal on his role in the slavery issue. No problem with removing the Davis statue, and especially the Liberty Place monument. Rex quoted the inscription on an earlier post, and for once, I agree with him 100%. That thing was a deliberate slap at black citizens, the inscription was insulting, and the obelisk on top elevated it from a mere historic marker into an object of reverence. Hell, the thing wasn't even located where the "battle" took place. Good riddance.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I was there a few weeks ago, and I had a blast. I love New York, and all the horror stories about people being mean is mostly bullshit. Everyone was nice as hell except this one dude that told me to get the fuck out of his way, I just said back "ooooooooooooooooooooooh" lol. In fact that whole Soutern Hospitality thing is a load of shit. I ran into more nice folks in New York than I run into in Louisiana.

I saw that statue though and I'm trying to find out why Columbus statues are bad. What's the story behind that?