Confederate Statues

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Aug 17, 2017.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

This is an excellent perspective on "STATUES". The book referenced, "Confederates in the Attic," is one of my favorites.

http://wapo.st/2fMbHMg?tid=ss_mail&utm_term=.4555d439eda1

As an ex Intel guy I have morphed into one that wants, make that needs, to clearly understand all sides. I agree many, probably most, view these statutes as memorials to those that fought for their STATES, certainly not for slavery. Unfortunately, these symbols, and what they SHOULD represent, have been hijacked.

Of note, 160 years ago the view of states vs Federal government was much different than today. Now states are basically the sponsors of rest areas on interstates. Then, most folk identified, first, with their state, then with the United States!

The problem, as Horowitz points out in his book, is that "good" Southerners did not object and deny the racists and hate mongers the use of "the flag" back in the late 20th century. "The flag" should have been somewhat sacred serving as a reminder of our relatives' valor, not allowed to become a symbol identified with racists.

In a similar manner, where are the "good" Southerners today, telling the racists, separatists and Nazis, to get the hell away from the civil war statutes?

Not to offend anyone, but being on the same side of ANY ISSUE, with NAZIs, would give me great cause for introspection.

Winston1 likes this.
  2. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Bullshit.

3. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Bullshit again.

What the racist apologists are now doing is PERPETUATING, not highjacking, the purpose of those statues. Those were mostly erected during Jim Crow times... as part of the movement to keep the black man down... and then many of them were erected during the 1960's as an objection to the Civil Rights movement.

4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

It doesn't matter if you are white, black, red, yellow. It doesn't matter if you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish or whatever. People are not as critical to divisive factions in their own groups as much as they are toward other groups. In fact, they blame the other groups for the negative actions in their own group. Group mentality promotes this behavior.

That is human nature.

GiantDuckFan and kcal like this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Strike three, you're out.

Many brave Americans DIED fighting the purpose of that flag... it should NEVER, EVER be held as "sacred" by any decent American patriot... not now, not then.

6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

This is a true statement, those people that went to protect the statues should ensure that there beliefs are not linked to the white supremacists who only want to dove tail to it.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How is anyone supposed to have a conversation with you when you come across like that? Ease up dude. Be civil.

8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

he doesn't want a conversation. He wants to be right. Problem with that is, he thinks he's right. By not engaging in a conversation or debate to show his reasoning or facts, he posts pot shots and deflects. It's why you'll notice he won't directly answer questions thrown at him. He'll sidestep it and pretend he never saw it. Dude's calling for peace and civility within the US, but can't live by his own "standards" on an Internet forum. His responses are funnier because of it.

Bengal B, kcal and Winston1 like this.
  9. Rex

Rex Founding Member

I do so ALL the time.
    You're full of it. That does not happen. I stand by my posts and defend them.... constantly.
    Contradict yourself much?

10. Rex

Rex Founding Member

As I said earlier, he's one of them.

Trump's latest three tweets prove that he has the mind of a middle-schooler (at best). These are specious arguments by right wingers and racists.... these don't understand much less acknowledge the true history and purpose of those statues:

[​IMG]Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump

Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. You.....
    9:07 AM - Aug 17, 2017

[​IMG]Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump

...can't change history, but you can learn from it. Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson - who's next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish! Also...
    9:15 AM - Aug 17, 2017

[​IMG]Donald J. Trump
    ✔@realDonaldTrump

...the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!