Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, Aug 30, 2016.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

And sure lets do it
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-white-offenders-more-likely-to-kill-police/

The Facts
    The FBI’s Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted program tracks the deaths of officers who were on duty, or acting in an official manner while off duty. The FBI publishes annual reports breaking down the figure in two ways: accidents and “felonious incidents,” which are deaths as a result of a criminal act. Felonious incidents include ambushes, traffic pursuits, responding to domestic disturbances or delivering search warrants.

There were 511 officers killed in felonious incidents and 540 offenders from 2004 to 2013, according to FBI reports. Among the total offenders, 52 percent were white, and 43 percent were black.

The FBI provided The Fact Checker a detailed database of victim officers and offenders in felonious incidents, accidental deaths and assaults with injury, from the early 1980s.

From 1980 to 2013, there were 2,269 officers killed in felonious incidents, and 2,896 offenders. The racial breakdown of offenders over the 33-year period was on par with the 10-year period: 52 percent were white, and 41 percent were black.

Of the 2,896 offenders in felonious deaths, at least 203 committed suicide and about 400 were justifiably killed on the scene. There were 161 offenders who were known to the law enforcement agency to have prior mental illness. There were 319 offenders under the influence of alcohol, and 228 under the influence of narcotics (those two numbers are not exclusive of each other).

The FBI began collecting the ethnicity of victims and offenders in 2011, and ethnicities from 2011 to 2013 are not yet reflected in this database. The FBI’s race categories are: white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, Not Reported and Unknown. The FBI could not confirm whether Hispanic or Latino offenders were included in the count before 2011.

The black population in America ranged from 11.6 percent to 13 percent between 1980 to 2013. Compared to that percentage in the population, the percentage of black offenders who killed police officers appears to be disproportionately high. But blacks tend to be concentrated in the South and in cities; some large urban areas, such as Detroit, have majority African American populations. About 51 percent of police killings were in cities and counties with a population of less than 250,000.

The FBI distinguishes the types of felonious incidents, so we looked further into ambushes, which include entrapment, premeditated attacks and unprovoked attacks. Many of the ambushes are the types of attacks Bratton originally referred to — ones incited by anger and hatred toward police. They include former Los Angeles Police Department officer Christopher Dorner’s rampage in 2013 to kill LAPD officers and their families, sniper attacks on officers standing outside their homes or barracks, point-blank assassination-style shootings of officers in a restaurant, coffee shop or patrol car, and attacks by “sovereign citizens” or members of militia groups.

There were 304 officers killed in ambush attacks from 1980 to 2013, with 371 offenders involved in those deaths. The percentage of black and white offenders in ambushes were about the same: 44 percent were white, and 43 percent were black.

Law enforcement fatalities have been declining since the 1970s. Felonious deaths also have declined since that time: Nearly 140 officers died in felonious incidents in 1973; in 2013, 27 officers were killed in felonious incidents. Ambushes accounted for 21.7 percent of felonious deaths from 2004 to 2013.

The Fact Checker’s analysis has limitations. There is no ethnic breakdown in the FBI data, and it is unclear whether Hispanic or Latino offenders were included in the white category, the unknown category, or elsewhere. There is not enough information on each officer’s death and circumstance to understand what motivated the killings — who killed whom why, and whether there are identifiable trends. Those details would provide useful context — for example, how “sovereign citizen” attacks compare to members of gangs targeting police. But that is not readily available, other than manually cross-checking the 2,000-plus officer deaths through news clips, booking documents and other sources. The FBI provided the database without personally-identifiable information.

Fact Checker newsletter

What's true, what's false or in-between.

The Bottom Line
    More white offenders than black offenders killed police between 1980 and 2013. Police officers were killed in ambush attacks by just as many black offenders as white offenders in the past three decades. There are no simple conclusions or trends that can be gleaned from the database alone, but it provides context that based on the raw numbers, officers are no more likely to be killed by black offenders than white

2. LSUMASTERMIND

Could it be possibly based on athletic ability.
    Which has nothing to do with the issue at hand

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I could've told you that about the officers killed.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

Its almost if people are stupid enough to say because he is in the nfl he should be grateful to white folks and has no business protesting

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Then you would agree that Blacks commit the most crime in the US?

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

No just that he is protesting something even he knows nothing about.

What we get are 1-2 stories like you posted, yet the overwhelming data suggest a much different picture.

Sure we can talk about the beginning of time and how slavery set blacks back, but we would first have to compare your life as it would have been if those ships never sailed. How in the hell do we even do that?

So the point always goes back to, WTF are us whites to do?

You know, at times I wish it was simply racism. I really do. that is an easy problem to fix. Why? Because it fixes itself over time, as I believe it already has.

Could you imagine myself marrying a black woman in 1920 in Louisiana? I wouldn't have been able to do it. But, here me and my wife are.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. BAY0U BENGAL

I actually made no comparison like that at all. No one owes anyone anything in this country. Why I think he should be grateful is because he was afforded a very good opportunity. He was raised by a decent family (so it would seem), went to college, and now plays games for a living. For a lot of money. I get he wants to "get in the conversation", but he is acting like every other social justice warrior.

Where did you get that whites think he owes them something?

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Not really sure what your point is, but to your point in that more whites kill cops than blacks, it is true that the white population far outweighs that of the black population. The stats you pointed out are near even +/- about 12% in those that killed cops. Taking the percentage from overall whites and the percentage from overall blacks, there is actually a higher percentage of all blacks that kill cops than the percentage of all whites who kill cops. That would be more of a fair assumption than from the article you posted.

How again does it pertain to the topic at hand?

9. BAY0U BENGAL

It doesn't.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Probably based more on the economic opportunity football provides to black athletes who don't have any other means of improving their life conditions.
    If it was strictly based on ability alone there would be equal proportions in sports like golf and tennis. And stock car racing. Joe Gibbs has had a program for
    years to provide opportunities in the sport for minorities but so far non have made it to full time Cup racing.