Coach O promoting moral victories

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Perple, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/...accepting-latest-one-moral-victory/832580001/

"I believe in moral victories to a certain extent," said senior outside linebacker Corey Thompson, who had six tackles with a quarterback sack. "At the end of the day, we have to win. But we did do a lot of things well."

This is a direct reflection of Coach O.

"Our guys busted their tails on the game plan," he said. "There was a lot of belief in that locker room. Tough, hard-fought battle. Those guys fought. They played to win the game. We just didn't make the plays when we could."

He also took solace in how his team played despite the loss.

"We came here to fight, and nobody likes losing," he said. "But you know what? These guys believed the whole week. I'm proud of this football team. There's some good young men in there. I hurt for them."

Kind of on their own?

"Coverage busts," Williams said. "We didn't make those plays. We have to step it up in the passing game. That was hurting us."

Of Hurts' 11 completions, nine were for more than 10 yards.

"Some stuff we hadn't gone over," Williams said. "So we were kind of on our own."

To me, this is unacceptable at LSU & unacceptable everywhere in sports.

We should beat the hell out of Arkansas & the rest of the schedule. But I feel that the seeds of accepting moral victories & mediocrity have already been planted by Coach O going forward.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

unclenick likes this.
  2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Depends on how we play moving forward. A "moral victory" worked out pretty well for the 2007 Giants.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I don’t like the term moral victory. What I do like is the maturity they team seems to have in not letting the loss crush them. No one likes losing but in this case we played Alabama pretty even..... in fact there is argument that we gained respect from the effort. The team realizes they can play toe to toe with what is called the best team in the country. This coming from the same group that lost to Troy is worth being proud of.
    Remember just after the game Devin White and Rashad Lawrence vowed not to lose to Alabama again. This game gave them a target and the knowledge and determination to meet or exceed that mark. There is nothing better you can take from a loss.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You have as slanted view of it as taint, spinning what you can to fuel your hated of Oeaux. The players don't feel like they won the game but the effort they gave before a prime time national audience regained a huge measure of confidence and respect fro the college football world. I didn't expect to win the game but I didn't expect the Tigers to play Bama on an almost equal basis in a game that would have been closer or even winnable if a couple of things had gone the other way. Call that a moral victory if you want to but in a way it is a victory if not on the field then in the hearts and minds of the players, the fans and even grudgingly some of the media.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

LSU played well and they know it.

6. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I'm in the minority here. I'm not a fan of this "Good showing" attitude. Doesn't make me feel better to see our players saying it after a loss, whether it be in OT or by 14 points. But to each his own.

unclenick likes this.
  7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

What would you rather they said? Awe shit, that's 7 in a row??

ParadiseiNC, didit, MikeInLa and 5 others like this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I’m fine with a moral victory against a team that 99% of the people (including Vegas) said we couldn’t dream of competing with. And it’s not like anyone is saying this was good enough moving forward, just accepting that we lost and emphasizing that we believe we can compete in the future. Since 2012 how many games have you felt like we might win a handful if we played 10 times? It had gotten bad - feels like we’re on the uptick.

didit, diamondheadtiger and Bengal B like this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Sounds really familiar. Can't quite put my finger on it but sure does remind me of someone that would say the exact same thing

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I totally agree with this demand for perfection. I graduated in 4 years with a 3.6 average (out of 4.0)....

Damn moral victories !!!

shane0911 and lsu-i-like like this.