Coach O channeled his inner Miles last night

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DownOnTheBayou, Nov 6, 2016.

1. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

A lot of tiger nation jumped on the O bandwagon after the Missouri game. He did what we've been wanting Miles to do for years. I said then it's a lot easier being the IHC cause there's no pressure and no expectations to win. O opened up the offense and we were averaging over 500 yds per game.

Then came last night. It was O's first time with real pressure to win cause he knew this game would probably decide whether or not he gets the gig full time. And he failed miserably.

It was as if Miles was coaching last night. He played not to lose last night instead of playing to win, like he did the first 3 games. The playcalling was conservative and very predictable, just like old times. He kept running #7 into a brick wall last night like Miles used to do. Etling looked like a dear in headlights last night, with ZERO help from the O line. And of course the poor clock management, wasted timeouts cause we couldn't get a play in, etc. Again, just like old times.

Now I knew we weren't gonna beat Bama last night, but it was sickening to see we lost the same way like we have since the NCG in the dome. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win. I could handle last night's lost if we had played aggressive and laid it all out there.

Coach O showed last night why he won a grand total of 10 games in 3 years at Ole Miss. No way he gets this job.

islstl likes this.
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

You think the Bama defense might have had a little to do with how our offense performed last night?

Richdog likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Had Alot to do with it but going scoreless and gaining 120 yards of total offense is unacceptable. At least Orgeron admits that though and wasn't at the podium looking and sounding like a beat up dog.

LSU_4_LIFE and BayouBengal014 like this.
  4. DownOnTheBayou

Absolutely they did. But we made it easy for them by having the same conservative, predictable playcalling.

LSU_4_LIFE and shane0911 like this.
  5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

The game was scoreless in the 4th quarter. Did you expect us to throw fly patterns on every offensive play?

Richdog likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The playcalling was no where near as predictable as Miles/Cam. They did throw on 1st down a number of times. Nothing worked because of abysmal O Line play and lack of ever a QB who can manage the game even as well as Matt Mauck/Flynn

7. DownOnTheBayou

So it's obvious you were happy with the same conservative, predictable playcalling since it's worked so well in the past.

8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Could the play calling have been better? Sure, we probably should have opened it up a bit more. Should have had more wrinkles thrown in? Sure, they could have tried a few more formations. Tried using both Fournette and Guice. As mentioned, Oeaux admits there is a problem that must be addressed. At the end of the day Bama is the better team, as painful as it is to admit.

The most glaring advantage is their DL vs our OL. Bama straight up owns LSU in that department and it's not even close. Their front 7 treat the LSU OL like a bully does the new, small kid. We need to improve drastically there, no matter who is coaching. LSU must do a better job of coaching up the OL. We probably could use a bit more size as well.

The other area is QB. Etling looked scared, shell shocked. He had the one great pass to Chark, but other than that he was a deer in headlights. His lack of mobility and arm strength handcuffed us.

LSU matches up well against Bama in nearly every other facet except coaching, which will favor Bama no matter who they're playing. I think we have better DB', RB's, and probably WR's.

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Why are you here on a LSU board bitching when your signature shows you're an Aubbie?

Richdog and Rouxleaux like this.
  10. DownOnTheBayou

It was pretty close. And definitely a lot more conservative than the last 3 games.

And also no halftime adjustments were made. That was so like Miles.