Chip Kelly to Fl gaining steam...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CaryLab, Nov 19, 2017.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

My completely unsubstantiated prediction would be Mullen or Strong.

Edit: Typ
    Edit: Edit: Typo

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I'm not a big fan of Kelly. I think he is a bit overrated. He is definitely more suited for the college game than the NFL. His style of coaching won't work at all in the NFL and his is too stubborn to bend. He is better suited for the Pac 12 or Big 12 where defense isn't a focus. He never won the big games when he stepped out of conference for a reason, no defense and too much finesse.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

46-7....and conference championships, bowl games all during USC's sanction years. And then in 2013 Oregon got hit with 3 years of probation and scholarship reductions while Kelly got hit with a year and a half show cause penalty.

He did exactly what Pete Carroll did. He bailed when the air started to stink.
    Yes, he beat USC 3 out of the 4 years while we were in the middle of sanctions with the loss coming in Eugene against this idiot...
    [​IMG]

Brian and stevescookin like this.
  4. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Frost at UF scares me more than Kelly. Hope he goes to Nebraska.

Pjoe, cul2969, Brian and 2 others like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I know he's a Nebraska alum but why would anybody choose to live in a cornfield instead of Florida where he would have unlimited resources and recruiting. And it's not freezing.

stevescookin likes this.
  6. Husker Ed

Husker Ed Founding Member

It's 51 right now with a projected high of 60 today. Very pleasant. The long term forecast does call for Frost however.

ParadiseiNC, LSUDieHard, Pjoe and 4 others like this.
  7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

[​IMG]

lsu-i-like and Chipeace like this.
  8. Brian

Brian Founding Member

What are thoughts on the chances of prying Frost from Florida's grip? I think Florida is probably a better job, but it'd be a very cool story to see him return to Nebraska and lead that program back to national prominence. Hard task.

So what if Jimbo does actually bail on FSU for aTm? Willie Taggart would love the FSU job. Does he ditch Oregon after just one year? If Florida doesn't get Frost you think they have to go after Mullen who reportedly would like to coach at a better job.

9. Husker Ed

Husker Ed Founding Member

I don't have any inside information but I'd say Frost to Nebraska has a better chance than Frost to Florida. I don't think Florida is a better job. Nebraska facilities are better and the fan base is unparalleled -- I know it's hard to believe in SEC country. The pull to come home will play a big part in Scott's decision. Not only is he an alum but he grew up here. His parents still live in Lincoln and I'm sure they would love their grand baby close. Frost also has a very close relationship with Tom Osborne who is still connected to the program. With that being said, Frost rejected his home state school when he chose Stanford out of high school before transferring back to Nebraska. We'll see, there are a lot of good football coaches out there.

ParadiseiNC and Brian like this.
  10. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I only say that Florida is a better job in that in the past 20 years two different coaches have won national titles, and they have had Heisman qbs. I know 20 years ago Nebraska had a claim of a national championship, but in the past 15 years (think of recruits growing up now) the Huskers haven't had a top 10 finish. Factor in the recruiting base in Nebraska vs Florida and I think the edge there also goes to Florida. It isn't any SEC bias, but just national perception really. Nebraska while more storied in these kids lives has been a non-factor program. Then you have the Big 10 membership with few of those storied rivalries remaining for Nebraska and it's a tricky situation.

I'm pulling for Frost to Nebraska and him returning the program, but I think most observers would say Florida is a far better job if you are a prospective head coach and you MUST win and fast to keep your job.

Bengal B likes this.