Chicken Gumbo

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by PURPLE TIGER, Jan 28, 2010.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

One last comment on thickening sauces. If you want a thick sauce that's clear, use gelatin for thickening.

Gelatin is what comes out of cartilage when you heat it slowly in liquids and keep the temp close to but under the boiling point. Simmering chicken (or beef) bones at 195 degrees F allows for the mucopolysaccharides in cartilage to come out of the cartilage and into solution. The chief chemical is chondroitin sulfate...the expensive pill from health food stores that's supposed to be good for your joints. Save some money if you have arthritis and make good stocks instead...or eat lots of Jello. If you let a stock boil it seals the cartilage in the bones and not much comes out into the stock.

That's why you should start with cold water and low heat that doesn't allow the boiling point to be reached. By using this method, you maximize the amount of chondroitin sulfate in the stock. It's the gelatin that solidifies a well made stock when it's refrigerated.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

From the chemistry lesson in your post, I am pretty sure you must have Alton Brown's phone number. You could definitely substitute host for him on his show. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. stevescookin

Who's Alton?

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Google him. He has a show on food network. He explains the science of cooking as he goes thru the recipes. Also, he is the host of Iron Chef.

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Kool, that's what I had been told and observed from cooking. I always cook my roux to an almost dark mud color. It gives a much smokier, deeper backbone to my gumbo. But I also always add okra to help thicken the gumbo. Just wondered if it was my imagination or not.

Thanks!

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

In a pinch, you can use a little corn starch and water to thicken almost anything. Best with gravies though.

7. stevescookin

Speaking of okra, in gumbo it's the okra "slime" that thickens the gumbo...same with file, it gets slimy when you sprinkle it on top and leave it there. That's probably why file gumbo is shinier than okra (cornstarch makes sauces shiny also like in Chinese sauces).

But if the slime is undesirable like when you're stewing okra and tomatoes...there's an old Creole trick...add some apple cider vinegar to the okra and the "slimeyness" is reduced or disappears. I add Steen's cane syrup to counteract the acid taste of the vinegar leaving a sweet and sour taste. Customers hate the slime in stewed okra and tomatoes, I find

When peeling shrimp, and their slime makes it difficult, dip your fingers in a small bowl of vinegar.

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

You are just full of little tricks aren't you? :thumb:

I will have to start a tips from Steve thread...

9. stevescookin

Most of what I know about cooking, I learned from others...the rest from my mistakes.

:hihi:.

10. sammyjo

sammyjo Freshman

stevescookin more info please

stevescookin, I have question about how you cook the chicken.i have rheumatoid arthritis and want to try that for my joint pain.how long would you cook the chicken at 195 degrees ? and then do you drink the liquid or eat the meat? thanks sammyjo