Chavis Update Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Dec 31, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

If we don't announce a hire by Monday of next week, it will be a major mistake. Les is not an idiot....well, I take that back. He may be an idiot, but he knows how the game is played and how quickly he needs to get this done.

3. tigerz0202

tigerz0202 Veteran Member

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He needs to get a top candidate and that means someone who already has a job. It may take some time.

5. tigerz0202

tigerz0202 Veteran Member

maybe that why miles looked like he was in the dumps after the game , because we all know losing games dont hurt his feelings.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. ScottforJC

ScottforJC It's never over until God says its over-Sid Ortis

I'm with you. While Chief has bailed us out several times, any DC worth 1.3M per year should be expected to do that plus be able to field a defense that doesn't let Bama drive the entire length of the field in the last 60 seconds of a game to win or tie like they've done to us the past couple of years.

We'll find a good replacement. My biggest concern is what this will do to recruiting.

65Grad and StaceyO like this.
  7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

TBD

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Probably not much recruiting wise. Sure we might be out of it for a few guys who need to make decision now to enroll early but with recruiting we weren't guaranteed all those guys anyway. We would see guys off the board if Chavis was here or not.

In reality, Chavis doesn't recruit very much at all. So you have to think that any other DC who would come in would be an upgrade recruiting wise.

If we lost Haley that would hurt much more if his replacement isn't close to what Haley brings recruiting wise. He is one of the main traveling recruiters.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Didn't Haley just sign a deal 2 weeks ago?

10. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Thanks for the memories Chief, and best of luck to you at TAMU. Mostly, best of luck trying to keep a defense with fresh legs on the field with Sumlins gimmick high flying offense (that's a terrible position for any DC)

I think Chavis is one of the best DC's in the sport. But lets be honest, Our D has seen a pretty steady decline since 2011, and whilst LSU had the number 1 defense in the SEC last season, they were no where to be found when we needed them most (except the Ole Miss Game) and even in that situation, if Bo Wallace was not an idiot, Ole Miss may have won that game as well. LSU has an exceptional passing defense, but LSU is also DBU......not only due to Chavis but due to the athletes we recruit. Our Rushing Defense has been getting thrashed and slashed by good rushing attacks lately and I didn't see that changing even with Chavis anytime soon. Wisconsin, Miss St., Auburn, Bama, Arkansas, and Notre Dame all had their way with our defense and in all of our close losses, our defense was out coached and out played when the game was on the line, that used to be the opposite at LSU, but they have been unreliable down the stretch in big games the past 3 seasons.

As someone else mentioned, if 8-5 is as bad as it gets, what's our record again?? We cant dwell on losing Chavis, lets get excited about the opportunity for a fresh start and the opportunity of getting another great DC to bring this defense back to where they belong. There are other DC's out there that will be drooling for the chance to step in and "in time" will do just as good with the athletes they will be given down in Baton Rouge.

Chief will be missed, but I think if it had to happen, the timing is perfect. Chavis is showing signs of fatigue and his defenses the last few years have be going the wrong direction.

Winston1, HalloweenRun and StaceyO like this.