Chavis Update Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Dec 31, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Devil's advocate, most championship teams in some way catch lucky breaks along the way.

I also though in 2011 think LSU's defense was one of the greatest D's of all time and their special teams were one of the best special teams covering kicks, and returning punts (at the end of the season when it mattered) of all time.

How many plays did Tyrann Mathieu make that year? Let's not forget that dude pretty much saved our ass against Arkansas and Georgia that year in the last game of the regular season and SECCG. Sure we won big in those games, but if you remember, LSU's offense was shit to start, couldn't do a damn thing, LSU goes down on the scoreboard, and it took Tyrann Mathieu on special teams returning kicks to kickstart LSU, then he created turnovers against Arkansas and had a 2nd bad ass return on a punt against UGA.

Think about that D and ST. Mathieu, Claiborne, Reid, Taylor, Simon, Brooks, Loston and Landry played special teams in kick coverage that year as did Brooks who was notorious for downing Brad Wing punts. Logan, Brockers, Minter, Montgomery, Mingo, Kendrick Adams, Ryan Baker and Stephon Francios, that team was loaded. Chavis' defense that year really was the best D I've ever seen play.

So you're right, but I think LSU made their luck with that killer D in 2011.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Oh LSU 2011 is without a doubt one of the best CFB teams ever, look at the number of ranked opponents we beat that year. But LSU had a stable of pure freaks and it showed. Starting with the ass kicking we gave the ducks to the thrashing of UGA... but that NC was a fucking joke. Playing a BAMA team that didn't win their division just shows the benfit of the doubt that Saban gets... and the redo's Bama pays for.

My point about the luck of the 2007 squad was the fact we needed the perfect storm of like a handful of teams losing to get there, and it happened. Not saying we didn't deserve to be there since we reeled off 20'some straight points when OSU went up by 10 on us, but in reality we did luck in to that NC game after losing to UK and the inbreds.

StaceyO and Sourdoughman like this.
  3. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Dammit, man. Let our rivals say shit like this. I don't like our own fans calling a well-earned and non-controversial NC "lucky." The Tigers had the best season that year.

StaceyO, $TigerFan$ and GregLSU like this.
  4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

While we won a lot of tough games in '07 we needed the perfect storm on the last weekend of football to get there. We didn't earn the trip there, we lucked in to it by all the right teams losing. Not saying we didn't deserve to be there as we whooped OSU's ass... but we didn't roll through everyone to get there.

tirk and Bengal B like this.
  5. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

That's what I was asking. Was it 4 hours of that type of practice or was it more walk through and play call execution. If it was full contact and running for 4 hours then I would agree it's excessive, but are we sure that's what it was.

GregLSU likes this.
  6. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Helped immensely, didn't it

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Well, it certainly couldn't have helped if there was disagreement among the coaches that day.

I could see a four-hour practice being a big deal the day before a game, but TWO days before? Why the hell not?

Our defense looked like shit from the opening series yesterday. Maybe all of this infighting shit on the staff didn't help with that?

LSUDad, $TigerFan$ and GregLSU like this.
  8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Point taken, but even considering the losses, I still think we were the best team in the nation that year. And we used the breaks we got to our advantage and proved it.

GregLSU likes this.
  9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

MustChump rode Saban's coat tails all the way to Bermuda, and AU after that. Dude ain't all that. We'd have to exceed 1.7 to lure him; he's not worth it.

GregLSU likes this.