Charles Krauthammer: I'm voting for John McCain

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Oct 25, 2008.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Where in there does Bush say that the goal will be accomplished by means other than saving your money, establishing a credible credit rating, applying for a mortgage, and promising to repay the lender and then following through on that promise?

Pride in ownership is not because you own something. It's because you worked hard and earned the right to own it.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

The message is clear:

Don't blame something on Clinton that Bush followed suit with.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is not wrong. You didn't address the CRA issue at all. You are now referring to the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act.

The 1999 Act that Clinton signed into law was encouraged and passed by the Republican Congress and Alan Greenspan. Congress finally repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, rewarding financial companies for more than 20 years and $300 million worth of lobbying efforts.

This enabled Bush to later gut the CRA resulting in the mortgage/credit crisis.

4. red55

5. SabanFan

It is Clinton and the Democrats that tacked on mandatory affordable housing to the deregulation efforts. And how do Barney Frank and Chris Dodd get a pass here?

6. red55

They don't and neither does the Supreme Court and and the Federal Reserve. Unsavory compromises are made between the parties to get legislation passed. My biggest annoyance is the finance industry lobby that actually made all of this happen.

I despise lobbyists. They are not in the Constitution and they interfere with the relationship between a Congressman and his constituency. The sooner thay are gone, the better for all of us. Let industry lobby The People directly and WE will tell our representatives how to vote.

7. Andouille

Andouille Guest

This is why the left is so dangerous.

Red, lobbyists ARE part of the constituency. I know you don't like freedom but here in America we have the Constitution and lobbyists act as representatives to people and business.

See, here in the real world where tenure doesn't exist, most of us actually have to work and produce an income. I don't have a lot of time to attend community organization meetings so I join groups of like minded individuals and we pay to have our message delivered.

Bribery is illegal as it should be. Outlawing freedom of speech and the ability for constituents to meet with their representatives is dangerous to freedom.

It's easy to see why Obama is your guy.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

oh, so this is what is meant by "representative democracy"

9. red55

Left and right are both dangerous. The middle is where the pragmatists stand.

What total nonsense. :lol::lol: Lobbyists are representatives of the people? Show me where lobbyists are in the Constitution! Lobbyists interefere in the representative process. You've never read the Constitution have you?

Don't make a fool of yourself trying to insult me. I'm an untenured research scientist who brings in enough contracts to fund my entire unit. I also operate a farm, some rental property, and a consulting business, all of which produce an income.

How many burgers do you flip in an average day, working man? :grin: Sorry. Payback. :hihi:

Fine, just deliver your message to the citizens, not in the back halls of Congress, wining and dining our elected officials accompanied by fat donations (and bribes in the rash of recently convicted republicans).

Stop being hysterical. Nobody favors freedom of speech more than I. But lobbying (as it now exists) is undue influence on elected representatives. Corporations are NOT constituents, they do NOT have a vote. Lobbying is a shady conduit for the bribery, influence peddling, and back ally shenanigans that we all agree are a problem.

10. SabanFan

Surely you are not insinuating that this is solely a Republican issue.

And I didn't call you Shirley. :grin: