Change one coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Jan 2, 2019.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I do not know how much influence the O-Line coach really exerts, but if he really does change things (schemes, technique, motivation) I vote here. I was talking to my Gump friend (who is beyond overjoyed with our win, and LSU Football In general) about the STARK difference, in practically all aspects of our O and D line. Additionally, seems we have too many O-Line penalties in crucial situations. I don’t have a replacement, but there are probably 110 or more candidates out there!

Not calling for E’s head, we won 3 or more than I figured, but our O playbook is pretty unexciting. QB taking a short drop, holding ball out for a back, just is not championship level. Especially three plays in a row. Or even 2 out of 3, especially with under performing O-Line!

I would also stress to both the Strength and the Receiver coaches that the gravy train is fixing to leave the station! Get hot!

Bengal B likes this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

There's a philosophy of management that says its better to come in as a hard ass and relax later than it is to come in easy and try to get tough.

Brian, furduknfish and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I don't agree with that approach but I do remember Coach O doing just the opposite- making practice fun again, etc.

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

do it again, I'll report you for harassment, you've promised you wouldn't respond to my posts, now keep your promise, I won't bother you again, I regret wishing you a happy thanksgiving, I think you are utterly repulsive on your best day, fuck you, stay away from me.

Brian likes this.
  5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I agree.

Actually, really great managers come in tough, the organization adjusts, and then it becomes easier as the organization finds it easy to meet/surpass the manager’s expectation. The manager doesn’t change, the organization does.

Brian and mctiger like this.
  6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

thumbCurlyHoward-1.jpg
    "Certainly"

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Two seasons in still working on OL. We did pretty good this season, considering, but confidence in the offense is still lacking. Instead of putting all doubts away, with a crap offense O is letting the doubts hang around like UCF.

Pick your battles - it still isn’t clear he handled that correctly. Definitely can’t let the inmates run the asylum, but we still don’t know if O can get the offense right.

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Moffit 1
    Slinger 1A

moffit for all of the reasons given and Steve for being in an unfortunate place. I think he was put in a no win situation with the oc spot but the 800K helped

I believe he is doing all he can but he is not the oc to take LSU to the seccg

How many red zone trips against ucf resulted in a td yesterday? that’s exactly 0...against an aac team....after 30 days of prep and 15 bowl practices for that specific matchup... Zero

is it scheme? probably. I think the game has passed him by for the most part and while he can learn concepts, etc. knowledge ain’t knowing.

is it philosophy? not sure because we don’t know his. what does he hang his hat on? I’m not a fan of going conservative in the rz but either Steve or Ed is...nd, a&m, ucf...

also, it’s about adapting to the personnel we have and we are woefully deficient in this area. lots of talk about only having one TE but take a look at the roster....how many are listed?? the O line struggles to pass protect but we run play action on our own goal line??? head scratcher

at the end of the day we are 10-3 and a top 6-8 team in the country having played a damn strong schedule. No one expects Steve to go anywhere and he deserves another season. I don’t think he’s going to retire and the staff needs continuity on the heels of canada. hooefully his offense takes off and the scoreboard blows up

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

No doubt, Cregg. While I know LSU needs more size up front, I feel like there should have been more improvement. Most run plays were either long runs or for nothing. Not enough 3-5 yard runs. There are too many false starts, especially at crucial moments. There are also too many missed blocks.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

We had 160 yards rushing yards including 125 by Brossette. We didn't have to rely on the run because our passing game was so dominant.