Change one coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Jan 2, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Let's play a game. Your job is to make one, and only one change to the coaching staff. Here's who is in play:
    Ed Orgeron - Head Coach
    Steven Ensminger - Offensive Coordinator
    Jerry Sullivan - Passing game coordinator
    Dave Aranda - Ass't Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator
    Bill Busch - Safeties
    James Cregg - Offensive Line
    Dennis Johnson - Defensive Line
    Mickey Joseph - Wide Receivers
    Greg McMahon - Special Teams Coordinator
    Corey Raymond - Defensive backs
    Tommie Robinson - Running Backs/Recruiting Coordinator
    Tommy Moffitt - Strength/Conditioning
    You get to sack any one coach from the list, and tell us why. You do not have to have a replacement in mind, but feel free to offer a specific replacement if you have one in mind - but keep it realistic. Bill Bellichik or Sean Payton ain't coming. Or you can choose to make no changes.

I'll start... I'm sending Tommy Moffitt into retirement. IMO, if we can play with Bama, we can play with anyone. And our most basic problem with Bama for the last 6 years has been they dominate us on the line of scrimmage, especially when we have the ball. They blow up every play before it has a chance to start. A stronger team will give us a much better chance to compete with them, and by extension, everyone else.

Next?

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I agree Moffitt has gotten stale and has been left behind. As you said our lines are much weaker than Alabama.
    The 5 star excuse doesn’t hold water Quinton Williams was a 3 star as was one of the running backs. They were developed and strengthened.
    The strength and conditioning coaches spend more time with the athletes than any other.
    I’ll start with Tommy.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

When I saw the title, the first thing that popped in my head was our S&C guy.

fanatic, uscvball and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

James Cregg. I see the OL woes as more of technique and execution woes than conditioning and strength. I can’t recall our guys getting bullrushed off of the line, although they did have some trouble getting push.

I am also for swapping out Moffitt, and if you guys are interested in replacements or S&C concepts, I can totally geek out. I have a laundry list of guys who could replace him. The numbers that these guys put up on squat and bench are not really very impressive given their athleticism. I have mediocre genes, and I squatted 485 weighing 181 a few years ago without a coach. That would probably put me in the top half of squatters on the team right now, which is pretty bad.

ThePhenom74 and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ensminger but I'm willing to give him one more season. To be fair there were a lot of factors working against him that he had no control over.

Tommy Moffitt is directly responsible for the teams strength and conditioning. I know he has been nationally acclaimed as one of the best but maybe the advances in modern techniques has passed him by. He needs to be replaced.

Mickey Joseph did a piss poor job with the WRs but we need him because of his ability to recruit New Orleans. Maybe he could be moved to tight end coach since we don't use them much anyway.
    Jerry Sullivan is likely to retire and will need to be replaced. Maybe some QB whisperer to develop our passing game.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I’d clip E because I haven’t seen enough. If the figurehead of a WR coach is holding E back, kinda gotta blame that on E/O. Granted, our WRs have been poo. OL hasn’t been much better, but when O ran all those guys off it kinda put our OL behind the 8-ball.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Who O ran off?

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

So predictable so boring and man so wrong.
    3-singes.jpg

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

this is outside the question, but I think your AD needs fired,.. he's the limiting factor

Rolan, furduknfish, shane0911 and 8 others like this.
  10. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

I keep em all for one more season. Heads getting chopped after next season if there is any type of regression.