CFB Nerds: LSU v. OSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tzanghi, Nov 21, 2019.

1. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Probably worth watching. I really like these guys, and I think they provide an unbiased look at match ups. I will say that they rely a bit too much on "advanced stats," but they still do a great job I think.

furduknfish likes this.
  2. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Cincinnati is a good team, man they are going through hoops to justify their #1 lol. Play our schedule.

gynojunkie likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Cincinnati is a good G5 team. They would finish in the middle to bottom of the pack in the SEC or Big 10.

4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I think their point is that OSU trounced a good team. They’re not saying OSU has played a gauntlet; just that they beat the hell out of Cincinnati, who’s now ranked #19. We’ll find out what OSU is made of this weekend and next.

TheRealist likes this.
  5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

OSU is for sure great, and has the athletes. I want to see them go undefeated playing our schedule then the outrage when some other team is put in front of them because you know, I have a gut feeling and the numbers say so.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

G5 teams like Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, etc get ranked because they have build up a good record by mostly playing each other. If teams were ranked not by record but by some metric that would accurately measure each team's true strength there are a lot of 6-4 and 5-5 P5 teams that will never sniff the top 25 but are better football teams teams than those ranked G5 teams. Ohio State beating Cincinnati 42-0 means about as much as LSU beating Utah State 42-6.

One negative of a 9 game conference schedule is that there are fewer regular season matchups like Alabama-Ohio State, LSU-Clemson or Georgia-Oregon.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

And its not an SEC thing, simply put we beat the current #5, #11, #15 and file the Texas game under it was big then but as usual they fell off the earth bad.

They have wins over #13 Wisconsin, #19 Cincy (Now not ranked when they played) and I will throw in their #25 game against Mich St. which is also now unranked.

We will see. I personally hope they win out and we meet them in the championship game. Although I would love to play Clemson too. The tiger bowl

8. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Also, beat Arkansas, that is all that matters right now.

el005639, Bengal B and watson1880 like this.
  9. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Statical analyst of college football is too error prone when trying to compare teams and even worse when they doe not have common opponent, ie same division. Part of the issue is too small of sample size and other variables are extremely random.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    furduknfish and Rolan like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I wonder if those guys win most of their bets.