Cathedral of Notre Dame destroyed

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by GiantDuckFan, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I guess its a French thing.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"Officials are continuing to pursue the theory that the cause of the fire was accidental but have not ruled out other scenarios at this stage, the prosecutor's office added."

This is what I'm talking about. They shouldn't be pursuing any theory, rather they should be collecting facts and evidence and allow those to determine the cause. At this point, they will find exactly what they are expecting to at the risk of missing something that would prove a different theory.

Winston1 and Frogleg like this.
  3. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Me

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I was talking about hidden beams and rafters like these inside the destroyed spire

[​IMG]

I see no downside in using laminated wood there,.. I acquaint it with the renovation of the Statue of Liberty, they replaced all the internal girders with ones made of modern non corrosive metal, what was the harm in that?

5. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Metal is fabricated by man. Wood beams from old growth can not be duplicated by man. Similar beams probably are only available in Siberia or somewhere like that if at all. The manufactured wood beams would never have the character of the originals. And it doesn't matter that the general public can't see it.

6. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I guess that falls under the category,.. it's only as important as you think it is

7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Yes it does

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If I were to visit the Cathedral after it had been rebuilt and everything that I could see was authentic I wouldn't care what they use to fix the unseen areas.

Metal is refined from ore found on or under the ground. Trees are grown from the ground. Both have to be processed into a useable form. There can be gteat craftsmanship in both metal working and wood working.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Jmg and GiantDuckFan like this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'm with you, el. But tradition, history, etc doesn't rank the same for everyone. Sorta like this....

"The French government announced Wednesday that it will sponsor an international contest for architects looking to contribute to the restoration of Notre Dame cathedral by designing a new spire to replace the one that collapsed in on the building during Monday's catastrophic fire.... "

That is just wrong, IMO. Absolutely no regard nor respect whatsoever for what was.

Winston1, el005639 and GiantDuckFan like this.
  10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Changing the design is not restoration.

GiantDuckFan likes this.