Catfishing

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by HatcherTiger, Aug 31, 2009.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Friend of mine invited me to go catfishing this Wednesday on the Atchafalaya. Decided that I need a "mental health" day off. He nets some shad and then baits approximately 25 jugs. Ties the jugs to the back of his boat and then drifts down river. Says he's had great success fishing this way. However, while he can't promise fish, he did promise ice cold beer :thumb: I'll let you know how we do. Anyone ever fish this way before ?

1 person likes this.
  2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I've run limb lines and jugs with small bream as bait and even soap. It's a lazy man's way to fish and is perfect if you wanna get loaded while doing it.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Closest I have come to that is using yo-yo's while doing canoe trips. When we would stop to make camp, I would set out a dozen or so. I'd pick them up in the morning and usually have a couple cats that we would cook for lunch or the next evening's dinner.

Can you even buy yo-yo's anymore? I don't know if they are even still legal. Anyone?

4. HatcherTiger

Isn't that really why we fish :hihi:

1 person likes this.
  5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I have friends who put out jug lines at Lake Fausse Point and tear the catfish up.

6. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

A little off topic, but someone here might know.

I had a boss that used to go "snagging" for catfish, does anyone know what that is?

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

re: snagging

Arkansas Record Catfish Fishing

...snagging vs snag lines

8. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

Cool thanks! I am thinking they did the one with the pole. They always did it late at night and always got some biiig fish.

9. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Yes, this is how we fish Lake Texhoma for catfish. By far the most productive means we have ever found for catching catfish. You will catch more big fish this way than you can imagine. We don't tie ours to the boat, we just let them drift and we just keep track of them.

1 person likes this.
  10. HatcherTiger

Success ! 15 beautiful cats. We opted to find a nice sand bar and build a fire. We put out a 50 hook line instead of floating with the jugs. Full moon, it was unbelievably beautiful out there. Fish are still on ice, I'll have to clean them later today. All are invited for a fish fry :thumb: