Canada (Pitt) vs Northwestern

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TwistedTiger, Dec 28, 2016.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

When we lived in WF, friends were always making college visits with their kids. That's something we never did. Our kids were raised as Tigers and it was always understood that that's where they would go. Oldest just graduated, youngest just finished first semester.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Tell your oldest daughter it's LSU or you ain't paying for it. Sorry about your youngest but there may be hope. There's lots of good beauty schools and truck driving academies around.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't think I'm willing to pay out-of-state tuition for LSU, just saying...

She wants to look at Oklahoma State this summer, and they offer some decent incentives to Texas students that save on tuition (Arkansas does, too). Tons of Plano kids go to both of those schools. She wants to be an elementary school teacher, so I also want her to take a look at Stephen F. Austin or Texas State in San Marcos--which turn out a lot of teachers, and she'd graduate certified in Texas. Plus, Texas State has an actual drill team, so that might appeal to her.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. StaceyO

As I said in the previous post, I don't think I'll be paying out-of-state tuition for LSU. My younger daughter wants to go to an art school in Manhattan and have a career in set and stage design in NYC--or LA (she likes the big cities on both coasts.)

I think she'll do just fine--but she WILL have to get a scholarship for that Manhattan art school idea to fly. Fortunately, a number of kids from Plano each year do get scholarships to art schools in NYC. One of my former students just received a scholarship to Pratt School of Design in Brooklyn, so there is hope.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I was going to fsu til I realized what oos tuition was.

6. StaceyO

Yes, it's ridiculous. But in Texas, the tuition for A & M and UT is similar to out-of-state, which is also just not happening. Besides, one has to be in the top 8% of his/her graduating class to be guaranteed admittance to either of those schools, and trying to be top 8% at Plano Senior High would be a fool's errand. A student who wants that has to devote an extreme amount of time and energy into studying and taking all AP classes. My kiddos aren't going to do that, and I wouldn't want them to. Life is too short to spend it studying...

The Plano kids in the top 8% generally go to the Ivy League or Stanford or military academies anyway. They aren't going to Texas schools.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Have you ever known me to not freely admit it?

8. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Absolutely never, which I really appreciate. And by the way - I loved your old signature. My mental picture of you is the guy on the Zig Zag shirt I wore in the 70s. And that's kind of a compliment in a odd way. Lot of good memories with brother Zig - which is all I would use. For about a year around 73 I tried to look like him but I could never get my mustache right. Sucked when I had to be clean shaven for work.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Two of my daughters went to UT - in 02 and '05. I don't think they could get in now. And it wasn't that much less than when my 3rd daughter went to LSU.

tirk likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Don't your parents still live in Louisiana? Use their address as your daughters address and pay in-state at LSU

KyleK likes this.