Can’t believe he said this...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CaryLab, Nov 26, 2017.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Don’t really care that it was statistically mediocre considering we won a bunch, but not sure if it indicates that his philosophy isn’t that good or just he doesn’t have his players in place. Considering we won and didn’t look dusty like Miles’ offense did, I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Bengal B, shane0911 and leroy7500 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If the A&M offense is what we see I want him back. The question is can he develop Brennan or Narcisse or any QB we may sign. I heard some sports talk jock say that Ensminger should be promoted to full time quarterback coach. Seems like a good idea.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Can Oeaux and Canada work together? How much real dislike is there between the two? Where is @bhelmLSU with the rest of the story?

stevescookin and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. didit

didit Veteran Member

The mid range missed like us... Also, but taking advantage of the middle, which was wide open... When we start using middle screens and te over the middle, we'd be deadly...

5. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Well his friend Detillier seems to think he just doesn't like Canada's offense. Oeaux wants pro-style like he saw at USC and Miami in their recent hay-days when he was on staff.

I don't think this offense is as much non-pro style as it is disguising what you're doing, which after the shifts and motions is pretty much straight forward aside from the multiple jet sweeps. Saban was right that it's window dressing but it's effective in creating confusion. After the shifts it's mostly runs between and off-tackle, a few tosses, and all the throws are based on the route-tree. The shovel pass finally came out against A&M.

Oeaux needs to be careful here.

furduknfish, kcal, LaSalleAve and 3 others like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So is the Canadian offense real or just smoke and mirrors? It's hard to say this year based on all the personnel issues. I put a lot of stock into anything Detillier says. He knows his stuff. We'll see next year if Canada is still here. I want to see 40 points a game with more production in the red zone. But the schedule is brutal. Miami, Auburn, Alabama and Georgia rotates back on the schedule. Thank God that Bama and Georgia are in Tiger Stadium and Miami is at a neutral site.

Brian likes this.
  7. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

I like it personally. Anytime you can confuse a defense and keep it on it's toes you're creating an advantage. Blend in superior athletes and it's a recipe for success. The stats between this year and last year are misleading. Most of the lowered stats were due to execution. They were rarely completely shut down. If the team that played in November was around in September they kick the shit out of MooState. Guaranteed. But that game came at a time when the penalty numbers were still high and some very important players were still hurt. It's hard to be too upset about those two losses though because it seems the entire staff and team needed that to grow and gel.

I think Pro-Style on the college level is vastly over-rated at this point because even most of the Pro teams have some sort of "gimmick" to it. I'm hopeful that Oeaux isn't trying to go the smash-mouth route. Pro-style doesn't mean smash-mouth per se, but spreads and shifts shouldn't necessarily be confused as gimmicks either.

ParadiseiNC, lsu-i-like and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  8. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

In judging LSU's offense and defense --- Besides injuries, there were a lot of suspensions which while having a negative impact early this year, probably produced dividends which we began to see after Troy. That along with having some great players returning next year who are capable team leaders bodes well for LSU.

LSU, during the last few years of the CLM era, didn't appear to me to play with "esprit de corps" and I think that O has helped bring this spirit back to the LSU football team. Anyway, last year after O started and this year after Troy, LSU is a lot more fun to watch with O than the last few years of CLM.

To keep us on track with the Canada discussion --- While I've been an O fan from the start, I sure would be quite disappointed in O if he ran Canada off. All else being equal, the first year transition to a new OC is tough and I think that Canada would shine next year. It would be good for BOTH Canada personally and also for LSU if Canada went out a big winner.

9. didit

didit Veteran Member

i don't think he wants smash-mouth... i think he wants a version of hurricanes or saints offense... pound the ball, throws to the TE or backs in a 2-wide set, swing passes to the back in 3-wide plus the WRs... we've been asking the coaches to use the TE forever and the 'canes offense uses them a lot and places them in the NFL... they've had 4 1st rounders in 10 yrs (Olsen, Winslow, Shockey and Graham) and all pro-bowlers... could've been all multiple pro-bowlers if Winslow wasn't an idiot doing indos in the parking lot on his motorcycle...
    edit;
    forgot the 1st round kid from last year Njoku...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Brian and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Right, it pretty much is pro style with a bunch of smoke and mirrors. What's wrong with making the defense make a choice and forcing them to be on their toes each play? You're absolutely correct O needs to be very careful because he can still coach his way to the unemployment line and quick if this thing goes south.