California is SO bad that

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bayou Tiger, Jan 16, 2018.

1. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

2. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

[​IMG]

Bengal B likes this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Split up from the US.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Californians don't need straws. They all have plenty of $100 bills to roll up and snort coke

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    BAY0U BENGAL and watson1880 like this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'm not about gubment intervention and focusing on straws seems over-the-top stupid when we have such serious issues with homelessness, drug abuse, lousy public education, etc. However, the straw thing doesn't bother me much. It's plastic straws that are going the way of the dinosaur. There will still be biodegradable paper straws. Starbucks bigger problem is that they will be offering plastic lids that basically look like a sippy cup. Those are worse since they don't meet CA recycling standards and that is the next issue.

In Sacramento, Waste Management has a new policy whereby they would no longer accept #5 plastics. Only 1-3 types are considered acceptable and that's because those are still being accepted by and sold to Asian countries for re-use. #'s 4-7 are:

Plastic Code 4: Low-Density Polyethylene

Heavy plastics that are both durable and flexible, including films, fertilizer bags, bubble wrap, bendy bottles and thick shopping bags.

Plastic Code 5: Polypropylene

These plastics are strong, often translucent, and bear a waxy surface. They include most bottle tops, straws, ketchup and syrup bottles, potato chip bags, crates and hinged lunchboxes.

Plastic Code 6: Polystryene

Brittle, hard plastics — including yogurt containers, egg boxes, fast food trays, video cases, disposable cutlery, vending cups and coat hangers. (baking tip....plastic knives are the best to use when cutting brownies)

Plastic Code 7: Other (includes Polycarbonates and Polylactides)

Various plastics, including nylon and multimaterial mixed polymers.

Anything in those categories goes in the regular old trash. Now, that's just Sacramento County but it's the genesis location for lots of laws that end up elsewhere around the state so I expect it to be everywhere by the end of next year.

It's another minor adjustment. I was a little pissy when they outlawed plastic bags for free but that is in the rear-view mirror now. Ultimately, if it cuts down on useless waste and reduces environmental hazards that end up in the ocean, I'm all about it.

Side note.....somebody should really go after Hershey. I do beach clean-up a couple times a year and the item I pick up more than any other are the little Hershey bar wrappers. The environment could use s'more help on that item.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How is it Hershey's fault if the idiots that eat them litter the wrappers? That's like blaming gun manufacturers for shootings.

watson1880 likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Not their fault....I'm suggesting that Hershey should come up with a wrapper that is biodegradable.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What they need to get rid of is those plastic 6 pack holders. Some fishermen throw them in the water and fish get entangled in them and die.

mctiger likes this.
  9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Hersey started using those plastic wrappers when they moved production down to mexico a couplpe years ago. befire then they had the aluminium wrappers

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

That will work, too.