Caddy over Justin Vincent

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by HatcherTiger, Jun 16, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

caddy is injury prone. this could be the difference between AU finished 2nd in the west or 4th. Especially since that O-Line of yours ain't much better.

2. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Thanks to the LSU guys for the respect shown to Carnell in this thread. The above quoted statement is incorrect, however. Carnell has had two season ending injuries: a broken collarbone and a broken leg. Those are freak, impact type injuries. A person prone to injury would be one who is constantly missing games for pulled muscles or strained ligaments, etc.
    Carnell was the unfortunate recipient of some brutal blows that broke his bones. That does not qualify him as "injury prone".

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I disagree. The nature of the injuries a player recieves, if frequent, is irrelevant. Its still a proneness to injury. Now, I will say that those two injuries were "freak", and if he makes it through this entire year without injury, I think he can officially be considered NOT injury prone. If he doesnt, then I, along with everyone else, will say that he is.

4. tirk

yes but injuries seem to follow some whether freakish or not.. I agree his were odd injuries but the fact he doesnt drink all of his milk may be the problem. Its not my fault he doesn't have a lunch card. Broken bones=fragile. He isnt gonna star in Unbreakable, the sequel anytime soon.

5. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

He made it through the entire 2003 season with no injury. Has that not removed the stigma?

6. tirk

no, 1 in a row is not a streak. heh

seriously though, I hope he stays healthy since he's awesome to watch when in the open field.

7. BloodTypeOandB

BloodTypeOandB Founding Member

Props to you guys for giving respect to Caddy. LSU

is building the foundation of a running back core which should rival just about anyones. Gotta give Saban his dues. He has really done a great job recruiting for you guys.

Tell me if you feel the same way I do about this years LSU team.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see LSU be the rushing leader in the SEC in 2004. I say this because I think you have a stable of running backs capable, but also, I think that Fisher will lean more on the running game this season than last due to your new QB. Maybe I'm mistaken, but from reports I've heard, the QB position won't just reload this year....... meaning it's gonna take a few games for your QB to get his SEC-legs under him. ( I would like some input on how you see him progressing. )

Concerning the SEC rushing leader..... who in the SEC is really capable of challenging for that title besides AU and LSU? Ark, no way, lost too many O-linemen and their starting TB. SPUAT? No depth, no running back. Tenn? Mayby, they have talent, and might be in the same boat you are in this year ( relying more on a running attack than passing.)
    UGA? That is just not their forte. Look for green...... btw, if they do develop a dominating running game they would be VERY hard to stop.

Fla, Ole Miss, Ms. St, etc..... no.

Anyway, again thanks for the props to Caddy. We're proud of him as a person and player.

Oh yeah, I've brought my flame-retardent suit with me and my tough skin, so if you feel the need to bash, go ahead....... I'll stick around till it dies down, cause I just like talking football.

BloodTypedORANGEandBLUE

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Exactly. If he makes it 2 in a row, then, to me, the stigma is gone. I wish him the best, really, I do. He showed a lot of character in coming back his senior year, and he generally seems like a good kid. If he puts up the numbers and is deserving, I would have no problem seeing him win the Heisman.

OandB, I think the 2004 rushing leader will be one of the two, either LSU or Auburn. LSU was 2nd in rushing in the SEC last year, followed very closely by Auburn. Both were pretty far behind Arkansas. With the loss of Cobbs, and all the Olinemen, as you said, Arkansas will have some issues on offense. I think LSU has the best Oline in the league, so if the passing game doesnt come along like we are hoping, I think LSU will lead the SEC in rushing. If we come out guns blazing, with a more balanced offense, we wont.

The same could be said for Auburn. With a new OC and offensive system, there is really no way to tell what kind of offense AU will have this year. Who knows, CW may get 3 times as many yards through the air as he has in years past, cutting down on the rushing yards. I think it largely depends on our two QBs and Auburns new offense. We will see.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I watch as much football as most on this forum. LSU will not be one-dimensional this year, but we certainly will be running the ball more. Therefore, JV will have more opportunities to make plays. My post is not a slam on Cadilliac, but I believe that JV will be the more productive back next year. Furthermore, Auburn should be as one-dimensional as they were last year. All said and done, JV has much more potential to improve on his stats from last year than Carnell does.

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams scored 5 touchdowns in one quarter of a game last year against an admittedly lesser opponent. Interestingly enough, though, most here admit that the talent on his own team paving the way for him and balancing him through the air on offense was totally deficient last year.

I've said time and time again that Auburn was really let down by their offensive line last year. Campbell can excel as long as he is calm, and that calmness is brought about through an innate confidence in knowing you're not going to have to scramble and make a decision "on your own".

When Campbell can just "read and react" and just fire the ball out within the confines of the offense, he's fine. What he has trouble with is being depended upon. Creating. Scrambling and "Matt Jones" type of sandlot stuff. With a good offensive line, that weakness is never revealed. With a bad one, and Auburn was bad last year, it is, and it was.

When Campbell suffered, the running game suffered. A sub-par blocking job on the whole led to even poorer performances by the ground attack.

All this, and for one brief shining moment during one quarter against a dog and pony opponent brought in for a payday and the ability to take a 60 point beatdown, he showed you what he's capable of, even in the face of all that inferiority surrounding him.

FIVE SCORES IN ONE QUARTER...

If he ran behind the LSU offensive line last year, he would have won-unequivocally-the Heisman Trophy. He is that good. He is as strong as he is scatty...He's not the classic change of direction. He almost seems to be able to put BOTH feet into the ground to change pace, at times.

Having said that, the poor kid is injury prone. They've had a stable (bevy, corp, call it what you will) of backs there that had considerable talent (Smith, Brown for awhile now, and the other kid that gradumucated two years ago), allowing for a greater rotation of backs. He was STILL hurt in a rotating system, and this past year was finally able to put together an entire healthy season.

His talent is unquestionable. His health is. The talent surrounding him is as well. The purpose of this thread starting was someone disagreeing with him being ranked a better fantasy player than Justin Vincent. I agree with that statement.

Potential lies with Vincent, for his future...But, the present belongs to Williams...