Buddy Diliberto dies - apparent heart attack

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Another icon passes away

This one hurts. I am a New Orleans boy, born and raised, haven't lived there though for years (or as they say dere, "yee-uhs.") Being in the Air Force, we've moved to Okla, Fla, Va, and now Ohio. Looks like I'll be transferred to Texas this summer, one of the first things that came to mind was that we'd be closer to N.O. and I could pick up Buddy D more easily on the radio at night. One of the things I've always enjoyed while living in different places is picking up WWL radio on the dial and listening to Buddy D talk about the Saints and LSU. It seemed to be a link to the city. We were in N.O. last Christmas and New Years holidays (which was awesome as LSU was playing in the Sugar Bowl for the NC) and I listened to Buddy D almost non-stop. Yeah, he would have never played well in another other city BUT Noo Awlins, with his mush-mouthed yat delivery, but who cares ... he was a one of a kind original who will be sorely missed!

Rest In Peace, Buddy D, and enjoy Heaven! :bncry: :)

2. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

Isn't Kaare Johnson Phil Johnson's son? Guess that gives him something of an edge on the job, but Kenny Wilkerson does a good job when he fills in for Buddy.

3. Fightin4LSU

Fightin4LSU Founding Member

I'm not a Saints fan, but I still enjoyed listening to him. RIP Buddy D.!

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Buddy was one of the great ones along with Hap Glaudi. I'm going to miss listening to him after the Saints games.

During one of the Saints really bad seasons a few years ago Buddy told a story about how he had some extra Saints tickets and he offered them to a lady who worked at the station. The lady told him "Buddy, what did I ever do to you to deserve this?"

5. raylsu

raylsu Founding Member

I honestly loved Buddy D as well. His Saints talk was great...BUT...he really never gave LSU justice in my opinion. That's okay, b/c he was more focused on New Orleans than the state of LA.

I would also tune in from Houston from time to time if the signal worked out for me. He will be missed.

6. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I remember last year after the Sugar Bowl he said that was the greatest thing he had ever witnessed in all his years of covering sports.

7. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Yes he is Phil's son and if he gets the job of hosting the post game show I will never listen again. Some people are saying it will be Bobby Hebert but he would have to move back from Atlanta, so I guess we will see.

8. Carface

Carface What the...?

Too strange! I didn't know about his post game show for the Saints until after the second Atlanta game (I went to the game so naturally I was searching for something talking about it). I must say this is odd!

9. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Wow

I am glad I was able to pick up 870 to listen to his last pregame show on the way back to ft hood. Wish now I could have picked it up outside of houston to listen to him take one last call from Mike on the Avenue, or one of the other many colorful callers.

Truely sad to hear that this has happened I always hoped that one day he would have been able to see the Saints play in a super bowl.

See you up at that big Deanies in the sky, have a Barqs for all of us.

RIP Buddy D
    The Saints may stink but you always picked us up.

10. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Nice sentiment