Brisket -- HELP

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by NoLimitMD, Nov 20, 2007.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I agree. I never cook in a pan on the grill, as you don't get the smoke flavor. I leave it over indirect heat until the coals are no longer hot enough to cook the meat. A huge piece of meat like brisket with so much fat won't dry out.

But it won't get tender until you cover it. I cook mine until the internal temp reaches 200 degrees. I like mine fork tender. Most bbq experts I've heard says it has to reach at least 180 degrees before it starts breaking down all the fatty tissue.

Now, cooking brisket on my smoker is a different story. The temp is about 225 degrees and I use a water pan. I can cook it for 10-12 hours without covering it and it's fork tender. Warm moist heat will do that.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I agree. Sear it good on the grill first to keep those juices inside for the long cooking.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I like mine on the grill at about 220-240 for about 8.5 to 10 hrs depending on your taste with plenty of wood chips. I wouldn't get to fancy with the chips seeing how it will be on for a long time.

If you want to tender it up after that throw it in some foil and put on grill (I use oven) for an hour or so. As mentioned put chips on opposite side and cook with indirect heat. To kill time, see if you can drink 3 beers per hour. Win or lose, at least the brisket will taste good no matter what!

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

For anyone with a Weber, you need to buy the hinged grill. You can also buy an insert for the grate that allows you to keep the coals up along the sides for indirect cooking. With the hinged grill, you can add coals and wood without having to take the grill off of he pit. I have a huge gas grill that I bought at Sam's, however, I wouldn't even consider doing ribs etc. on anything but my Weber. I'd consider doing the brisket 100% on the grill. You can create indirect heat by putting two bricks down onto the grate, this will keep the coals up along the sides of the pit. Begin with direct heat and then set up the indirect heat and move the brisket into the pan with the liquid. You are essentially braising the brisket. There are multiple liquids that will work, I like to use a dark beer. I reduce that "gravy" after I am done and add some hot mustard, makes a great sauce to accompany the brisket.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

My suggestion if you dont have a pan is to wrap the meat in a USC sweater so you do not have to waste a good pan. :grin:

An aluminum pan is such a terrible thing to waste! :cool:

1 person likes this.
  6. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

I hate to cut back on my beer on holidays.

1 person likes this.
  7. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I have never been able to get a brisket like I want from an oven. It may be tasty, but it just isn't the same. But I am a gracious guest and will consume lbs. if the host so offers.

As to the 3 beers an hour...NLMD....did you ever try the red draw. It is easy to do 6 every 30 minutes drinking red beers, but after the 50 minute mark you, at least I, shouldn't be around fire or sharp knives........

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I did...not bad, though not something I would drink too often. Budweiser is now selling Cheladas in the can, which aren't half bad given the convenience.

9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Let us know how the Que went.

Beer count?

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Doing it tomorrow...didn't have it in me to do it today for some reason.