Brees WILLNOT sign tendered offer..

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Mar 5, 2012.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Sorry no link, but I heard Kaare Johnson saying on his program today that Brees is livid about having the franchised tag applied and is prepared to sit out the entire year if a deal is not done.

With news of the bounties and possible long term suspensions of Coach Payton, draft picks being taken away by the NFL, and the inability to retain our own FA because Loomis' failure to sign Brees, it's possible that he's played his last down in New Orleans.

Obviously, that's a worst case scenario and if it does happen, the franchise will collapse, but it wouldn't be the first time the Saints front office has screwed the pooch.

With the disarray the franchise is now in, I think that actually gives Drew more leverage and HOPEFULLY they sign him to a long term deal in an attempt to regain some stability, but even if they do, they can't apply the franchise tag to another player, like Nicks, which was their intention in the first place.

I don't know who's to blame for this, as far as the Brees contract goes. Is it Loomis for failing to give Drew his asking price or is he (Loomis) taking direction from Benson?

What a mess..

2. cam02$$bags

cam02$$bags Veteran Member

gtfo.

3. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

4. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

this article is from 3 days ago, if it's true, i wonder how much that earlier contract offer was for...

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees rejected rich 2011 contract offer: report | NOLA.com

5. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

here's that report:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...iggest-deal-in-nfl-history-before-2011-season

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

here's an article from 3 days ago by ESPN saying the Saints' current offer to Brees is the same salary the Patriots are paying Tom Brady (Brady is a 3-time Super Bowl Champion, 2-time Super Bowl MVP, a 2-time NFL MVP, a 5-time AFC Champion, a 7-time Pro Bowler, etc)

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints divided by money in first three years, sources say - ESPN

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

So it appears that DB might not be the "team" guy that popular opinion says he is. The Saints only have X amount of money and they can't give it all to one guy.

8. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

How's Chase Daniel at running the offense and reading defenses?

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm still Team Brees here, but he does have a bit of a chip on his shoulder and an ego to boot. It's what gives him his edge and makes him so damn good. But, hard to understand why he'd turn down an offer to make him the highest paid player in league history, unless he wasn't getting as much as he wanted 'guaranteed'.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

What's really upsetting about this news is that he must know if he gets the contract he apparently wants, it makes it virtually impossible to re-sign either Colston or Nicks, and maybe both. If he really wants to keep the team in Super Bowl contention throughout the remainder of his career, he's practically sabotaging those chances now.