Brees done did it

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tirk, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In this case you have bought into the leftest mindset hook, line and sinker. When a person is forced to make a false apology for speaking in favor of patiotic ideals just to try to bring team unity in what his last chance for another Superbowl this country has already gone to hell.

I doubt if Brees meant a single word of his apology but if he didn't do it it would be a major distraction.

StaceyO and tirk like this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

That is a great question. I don’t really know. I think I’d need more time to think about it.

3. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I haven’t said anything about the apology though. Now we’re getting to the real issue. I think what Brees said is simple minded and poorly reasoned. That doesn’t mean I think he should have to apologize for it or that he should be publicly crucified.

4. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

I can applaud honesty like that, especially on the internet.

tzanghi and kcal like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The fact that you think it's simple minded says a lot about you. And no, it wasn't well reasoned. If he had thought about it he could have uttered some meaningless platitudes about supporting what in reality is anarchy

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

i didn't get that interpretation from his comments

Brees said, "So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag and singing the national anthem, that's what I think about. And in many cases, that brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed. Not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the '60s, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it is not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution."

in his original comment he mentions the sacrifices made by ALL, mentions that all is not well, and wishes for unity.

what am I missing?

7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I’ve been embarrassed by saying stupid things enough times that I’m getting better at not saying them! Lol. Still not perfect though.

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

im glad to have a discussion that doesn't include ridicule and name calling

carry on

tzanghi likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That is NOT what he said. The problem is the collective intelligence quotient of those that oppose isn't high enough to understand that isn't what he meant. Should he have said "We can get this message across in some other way without disrespecting the flag" yeah probably. Too bad he overestimated their capacity to understand.

It has been my argument all along, right message, wrong way to shout it.

Winston1 and Bengal B like this.
  10. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-anthem-protesting/16cuua0cg0o0z14c27nf74nwvm

Here is a link to the full quote. You left the part out where he said he’d never agree with anyone not standing for the flag during the national anthem. By saying “never” he’s necessarily committing himself to the position that standing for the flag is a greater priority than kneeling to promote equality. So I’m correct about his prioritzation. You guys are saying (at least Shane is) that since he’s allowing for the kneelers to set forth their positions elsewhere, his position is more rationale than otherwise. And that’s probably true. But that doesn’t make it well reasoned overall to have that prioritzation.

I’ll also grant you, Shane, that most of the left hasn’t probably looked into it and reasoned it out as thoroughly as they should have. I’m not defending them. Just saying I don’t think Brees’s reasoning stands on strong ground.