Brees Blasts Thursday Night Games

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Bengal B, Dec 8, 2017.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Thomas Morstead offers a solution. Morstead is the Saints player rep, btw. He suggests they eliminate one preseason game and go to a 18-week schedule with 2 byes. Then, any team that plays a Thursday night game would have a bye week before that game, giving them 11 days off before the Thursday and 10 after. Don't know if the schedule makers could make that work, and I know the league wouldn't want to give up a game, even in the preseason.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

When you think about Sean Payton serving a year suspension for bounty gate and you see how the league acts when it comes to player safety it’s a fucking joke.

stevescookin and fanatic like this.
  3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

The Falcon players were trying to take Saints players out of the game on purpose.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Good idea. What's this I heard about the bounty gate guy fired hy the saints. Googled it.

First is that one of the officials for the Thursday night game was a former player for the Atlanta Falcons, Phil McKinnely. Perhaps coincidentally, McKinnely was the ref who was standing right there when Deion Jones gave Alvin Kamara a concussion. He’s also the official who kept standing there as Jones taunted Kamara who had to leave the game. You may remember him as the official who stood there and kept his flag in his pocket.out
    The above mentioned article points out that a substitute referee was removed from a Saints game in 2012 for being a fan of the team. Maybe McKinnely isn’t a fan. Perhaps he’s totally objective and just not a very good official. He was also the guy who no-called an out of bounds blocked field goal return when the Saints lost to the Broncos last year.

Maybe we can agree that officials who played in the NFL shouldn’t be allowed to officiate games for their former team? That would seem to make sense.

And then this …
    The name Mike Cerullo isn’t known to many who didn’t seriously follow all of the Bountygate story. He was the whistle blower who brought the whole thing to light. The thing that led to Sean Payton being suspended for the entire 2012 Season. Cerullo was a former Saints defensive assistant who had been fired by the team prior to starting his new whistle blower career.

On Sunday it was discovered he is now working for the NFL front office as an assistant to senior vice president of football administration and club services Rod Graves. From former Saints linebacker Scott Shanle in response to a piece from ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett via Twitter:

The NFL hired the guy who started all the bounty gate mess? A disgruntled employee of the saints who was fired because he was a pathological liar.

What is going on with this league?! https://t.co/1oxW4td1Pc

— Scott Shanle (@scottshanle) December 10, 2017

Conspiracy theories
    So, if you want to look into conspiracy theories revolving around the NFL and the Saints, you don’t have to dig too deep. If there’s not something actually going on, it’s not for a lack of evidence suggesting otherwise. But no one in the NFL seems to be concerned about any appearance of unfairness.

There are simply several things that make the NFL look like it’s got it out for the Saints. Not least among them the fact that the Saints have only played one out of 12 Thursday Night Football games at home. 11 of the contests have been on the road on a short week.

fanatic and Bengal B like this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

@tirk Wow, 11 out of 12 TNF games on the road? And the league-wide stats indicate that road teams lose on Thursday night by an overwhelming margin? Nice catch, that might be the best argument for a conspiracy I've heard yet.

fanatic, ParadiseiNC and Bengal B like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I had no idea. If they are going to play on Thursdays they should balance the home and away schedule.

fanatic and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. tirk

Yeah when reading it that stood out the most. That's why I ended it there. Crazy when adding it all up how Goodell has it out for the saints. Or it certainly seems that way.

fanatic and ParadiseiNC like this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

At the very least the league gave Saints fans, Goodell critics, and any reasonable non Saints hater reasons to think there is a conspiracy.

9. tirk

I know right and I never blame refs minus the occasional auburn or Alabama screw job.

The history of it all stands up pretty well.

fanatic likes this.
  10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Hence why I tend to watch college and say fuck the NFL.