Brain Storm

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Don Castavez, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Student debt - too many little piss ant millenials have taken their scholarship grant money and use it to buy clothes and weed. So here's what. Anyone who after their college education has ended via graduation or not who still owes more than 50k after 3 years their quest for education has been completed should have 25% of their wages garnished until debt is fully paid. Anyone who owes more than 50k 4 years following their education ends serves 6 months in prison.
    It's time the United States returns to a mindset that debt is something to be avoided.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So you want to introduce the fine old British tradition of debtor's prison to the USA. Whatever you are smoking is better than mine.

Don Castavez and Frogleg like this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

What is worse than Student Debt is the Pell Grant fiasco. Pell Grants are the engine that runs the community college system and most small colleges as well.

OBTW, Pell Grants are YOUR tax dollars at work.

We have an “award winning” community college in our town with a “graduation” rate of way less than 20%. Yeah, some of that is the nature of the courses offered, but a lot (most) is a result of people enrolling for the duration of their Pell Grant, then dropping out.

My wife works at a credit union near the campus. When she was a teller, she cashed countless Pell Grant checks (which are distributed by the college after deducting tuition) a month. Not deposited, but cashed.

We, the taxpayers don’t pay tuition out of the goodness of our heart, but rather as a means to make someone a productive citizen.

The analysis is easy, but will never happen. Simply take an individuals taxes paid after some time, and dividing by Pell Grant dollars received. Determine a satisfactory ratio, and there you have it. Will never happen, the results would be outrageous.

4. Don Castavez

Exactly - and it’s only real good Cuervo

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Pell Grant is great for the students who actually use it to get an educated. Both of my nephews had Pell Grants and it has greatly reduced the amount of student loan money they have to pay.

6. Don Castavez

Community colleges are the ghost of Huey Long. Means in which legislators cultivate votes by putting a jobs program disguised as education in their own back yard.
    Ever notice how Louisiana has a college every 100 yards and it’s entire educational System is shit?

7. Don Castavez

I just discovered this Roundtable. This is gonna be fun!

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So you have found the secret site. The Romulans must have neutralized the cloaking device.

mctiger, el005639, kcal and 1 other person like this.
  9. Don Castavez

I’m all for helping the deserving get an education via financial aid. But like the S&L boondoggle a few years back too many greedy sharks discovered the upside to allow financial irresponsibility become a financial gain for them.
    The abuse of the irresponsible is running rampant and as usual those who play by the rules are getting fisted.
    Add to the recipe an idiot like Bernie wanting to press the Reset button on the debts and it’s full disaster.

10. Don Castavez

Now if I can only connect Saban to the Kennedy conspiracy .....

watson1880 and Bengal B like this.