BP Gulf Oil Spill

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 21, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Re: Oil Rig explosion/Gulf Oil Spill

not looking good at all.

BP welcomes military help for larger Gulf oil leak - Yahoo! News

louisiana and the gulf coast cannot afford this kind of environmental catastrophe and the consequences, both economic and environmental.

i thought that they were going to try a burn, but i dont see that is going on. any news from the locals on that?

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Oh good. Obama to oversee oil cleanup.

Our problems are solved. :rolleye33:

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I listened to a shrimp man talking about how BP has asked shrimpers to help with the cleanup. He posed the question why isn't BP paying us to help with the cleanup. This is really going to suck the life out of the seafood industry for Louisianians this year. BP should do something to offset the money that is going to be lost by our brothers and sisters down south.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

BP is going to be paying for a lot of cleanup just like Exxon did after the Exxon Valdez spill. It's going to take years

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i heard a radio interview that said the burn is a newish tactic that isnt expected to do much. mostly because only where the oil is thick will it burn, and, evidently, not much of it is thick. the skimming and dropping some sort of neutralizing stuff on it is working the best.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

the article i linked says either the guys on the rig couldnt get to the trigger (the guys that died) or they did but it didnt work. the acoustic thing is supposed to be perfect for this case because it has no wire connected that may break and it can be set off away from the rig (on a life boat)

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Hmm.. I read an article earlier that says they could be "contracted" to help. I assumed that meant paid something. If not, yes that is the suck.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Sweet, when i heard that on the radio it almost sounded like BP was trying to pull the ole, well its all our responsibility crap. No.... You screwed up, you pay to fix it. That exxon valdez thing with the poor little seabirds all covered in oil is still etched in my mind.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I work in the oilfield supply business.
    We mostly provide piping, valves and fittings for fabrication and pipelines.

For rigs and platforms built in the states (by any fabricator worth half a bucket of sh!t), every piece that goes on that rig/pipeline is documented all the way back to the raw materials it was made from. 100% traceability.

Don't know how it works for stuff built in Korea like this rig was, but I've been in on conference calls for really minor failures down here.

Someone will likely go bankrupt over this one.
    If a supply house can't produce the correct documents to trace it to the valve distributor, they're screwed.
    If they get that far, the distributor better have their paperwork in order, and so on down the line.

It can get ugly, and get there fast. And the ones I witnessed were not any where near as big a deal as this one. On mine, a valve didn't hold up during testing.

If THAT one got as heated as it did, I truly feel sorry for the poor feller that sold that BOP to the fabricators.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

nootch, i was wondering what your take on all this was because of the industry you are in, and because you are such an avid fisherman.

there was a lawsuit filed by a couple of the families of missing workers not even 48 hours after the explosion. there has been another by a couple of commercial shrimpers.

sounds like more than the coast line is gonna get messy.