BP Gulf Oil Spill

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 21, 2010.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

4. stevescookin

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

6. stevescookin

Folks, it isn't over.

BP knew of problems, but left them unattended before Gulf oil well blowout, new report says | NOLA.com

This thread is probably the greatest thread in the history of this website because so many of us LSU sports fans do (and have) worked offshore and have superior knowledge and insight into the real workings of the oil industry as well as of the environmental impact.

The impact on the environment seems to pale in comparison to the economic and political impact of the de facto shutdown of an entire industry.

This disaster, like the levee failures during hurricane Katrina, is a result of human failures and has impacted all of our lives just as much as Katrina did...however, unlike Katrina, the BP oil spill was caused by the human failures of a hell of a lot fewer people...and in a much shorter time frame.

I resurrected this thread because of it's continuing importance as well as because of your expertise. I've personally learned so much from this thread that I feel we need to keep this in the forefront now that football and recruiting seasons are over.

( At least, in sports I have my priorities straight..:wink:)

7. stevescookin

Oil industry declares temporary capping stack ready in case of Gulf oil blowouts | NOLA.com

OK....can we get back to work now...Thank you ????

"An emergency capping stack is stationed at a Houston fabrication plant. A fleet of oil collection tankers, miles of tubing for sucking pollutants to the surface, and devices for shooting chemical dispersants into a subsea leak are positioned at Port Fourchon and other locations along the Louisiana and Texas coasts.
    And all are at the immediate disposal of the five members of the Marine Well Containment Co. -- ExxonMobil, Shell, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and BP -- or any other oil and gas exploration company that pays a fee.
    The question is, will the Obama administration find the emergency containment system adequate enough to issue the first deepwater drilling permits since the catastrophic BP blowout in April?"

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Dammit, Steve. I had gone almost a whole day without getting pissed at Obama.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Uhhh, the story blames the mess on BP.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The lack of offshore drilling is all on your boy.