BP Gulf Oil Spill

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 21, 2010.

1. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

No technology failure? If the BOP worked, we wouldn't have even heard about it. Not to mention all the things coming out around transoceans audits and alarms that were off, etc.

No changes? There has already been a lot. How much more inspections will there be? Regulations? More backup/redundant well control systems? How about emergency system/plans, what will be required going forward? They shut down drilling for 6 months, changes are coming...will be regulated like the north sea is, or worse.

We know BP cut numerous corners, but there were a lot of things that contributed to this. Everyone is covering their own and pointing fingers; I'll reserve my judgement until all the details are out.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

The BOP wasn't working properly when it was installed. Hydraulic and electrical problems were documented on it's previous job (It was built around 1999). Cameron Iron works was on record recommending to the MMS that the BOP not be used until it was returned to them for inspection/remanufacture.

The MMS went ahead and approved it's use anyway. (Someone from the MMS probably got a great paying job with BP after that.)

The accident was caused by the MMS just as much as it was caused by BP.

New regulations for the industry aren't needed as much as severe criminal penalties for those regulators who permit this kind of BS are needed.

The MMS inspectors who inspect the rigs were doing their jobs...it was the higher ups who signed off on permits that were the tools of BP...and they should be facing jail time.

3. stevescookin

4. stevescookin

Judge Martin Feldman wants to know more about offshore oil drilling ban | NOLA.com

Judge Feldman is asserting that no additional review producing no new evidence that BOP's don't work was performed by Salazar. Therefore he contends that the new moratorium is invalid because it's the same moratorium he overturned.

The feds say that the new moratorium is now in effect and the suits against the old moratorium should be dismissed.

Just tell me that Salazar has no environmental agenda...just tell me this is not a war against the oil industry, casualties be damned. :dis:.

5. stevescookin

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

1 person likes this.
  7. stevescookin

This moratorium may very well put me out of business eventually. There's no way that losing all those jobs in our fragile, non diversified economy is not going to affect all of us small businesses who are treading water right now.

But Obama is "Aware of that".

I'm aware of this:
    I really don't like being a potential human sacrifice to the gods of someone else's political and environmental agendas

8. stevescookin

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Exactly. It's submerged, so it's not in plain sight. There's NO WAY that much oil can spill and it just disappear - dispersants or not. I'm no expert or anything, but that's just common sense. I'm just wondering my more of it is not washing up.

10. stevescookin

The first day of August season came and went without reports of oil all over the nets. The big complaints were about abandoned boom anchors that tear up the nets.