Bowl Selection Discussion

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I agreed with the order you listed.

and if SoS based on conferences is strong enough to jump over 1 undefeated power 5 team, why is it not enough to jump over all of them?

especially considering 2 of those teams have extremely similar SoS?
    Why is Michigan's 56th ranked SoS good enough to be #1, but Florida State's similarly ranked 61st not even good enough to be in the top 4?

the NCAA and people that run it have set the criteria that Power 5 teams be treated differently than group of 5.
    this is not new. as in they have always been viewed differently than the Power 5.

we just called the groups by different names, but going back to at least the early 90's there was a clear line drawn in the sand and even had rules separating them.

in the old Alliance Bowl system we called them "Alliance conferences" vs "non-Alliance"
    Alliance conference champs were guaranteed participation.
    then the BCS.
    BCS Conferences were guaranteed participation no matter what. Non-BCS was tossed a bone saying that maybe if they reached certain criteria, you can possibly get in, but no promises.

and now we have the Playoffs. we call them Power 5 and Group of 5.
    the first several years, Power 5 was guaranteed participation in the New Years 6 bowl. and Group of 5 was given a requirement they had to achieve before being guaranteed a spot. That stipulation has since been removed and their highest ranked team now get to play in a big bowl, but the line between the 2 groups remains.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Dude. I already said. Michigan has beaten two currently ranked top 10 teams. FSUs wins are not similar at all. Go home.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

so we only pick and choose parts of the schedule and not the whole schedule?

so basically we change the criteria to get a desired result.

thanks for proving my point.

JaxTigFan likes this.
  4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I dont know how to go any slower.

OVER THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE: MICHIGAN HAS WINS OVER MORE TOP 10 TEAMS 2, TO FSU'S 0.'

YOU said they had the same schedule. They clearly did not. There is far more likely a chance of a loss in these two games alone.

You have a smooth brain if you cant figure that out.

You see the dilemma you are having is you are going down a list of factors in which two teams look similar. So how might one decipher outlying results? Well, you pull in more data to separate from the averages because SOS is an average of teams played.

SO, for example, when two teams, undefeated, have near identical SOS, you look at ACTUAL ranked teams.

This is basic stuff dude.

Lets go further, lets say they then both had 2 top 10 wins, well, look for more data....But, they dont. Michigan got the clear edge in quality of top 10 wins.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  5. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I stated it earlier in the thread that the committee should have taken both Ala & Fla. St and excluded Michigan because they cheated. In accepting his suspension Harbaugh basically admitted he cheated. It would have taken balls by the selection committee and would have been controversial, but no less controversial than leaving another 13-0 conference champion home.
    We all know how the cheating scandal will play out. The NCAA will drag their feet as usual and 2 years from now hit Michigan and Harbaugh with all kinds of sanctions and void all their wins this year. Hopefully Michigan will flame out early in the playoffs to avoid further tainting someone’s championship. In between then and the end of Michigan’s run, Harbaugh will resign and head back to the NFL.
    BTW, have you noticed how eerily silent the ESPN team has been on the issue lately?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i cited my source of schedule rankings.
    Sagarin Ratings.

Michigan is 56th.
    FSU is 61.

that’s is similar ranking.
    not sure why you can’t comprehend that.

here is a link for you even
    http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

it’s the number in parenthesis under the header Schedule (Rank)

so playing 2 top 10 teams of course is more likely to lead to an upset

Michigan only played 5 power 5 schools that even reached bowl eligibility.
    Florida State played 8 such teams.

playing more than half your schedule against
    teams that can’t even win more games than they lose in a Power 5 conference sure makes it a lot easier to go unbeaten.

so if we talk about THE ENTIRE schedule, their rankings are very similarly ranked.

so FSU with their schedule should have also been treated like an undefeated Power 5 team.

but let’s narrow it down to just top 10.
    washington has 2 wins against top 8 teams.
    Michigan has 1.
    they have the same number of top 15 and washington has more top 20s.

so is SoS was the metric, why is Michigan 1?
    they have the (by FAR) worst SoS of the 4 playoff teams. and didn’t even attempt to make it better OOC.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Like I said. Write those dudes a letter. They all disagree with you.

I dont really see a need in continuing this dumb ass argument.

8. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

What will really be lighting the fuse is if Michigan is found quilty of more shanaghan's and has to vacate any wins this year. That would have left a spot for Fla. St. after the fact which is always salt in the wound. you know how NCAA is always trying to punish years down the road.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

because I'm using objective facts and you have to use "feels".
    it's literally the only way to arrive at these 4 in this particular order.

it's OK dude. y'all got y'all pre-desired outcome.
    next year y'all can all sit around a circle jerk to the excitement of being so inclusive even Liberty gets into the playoffs.

10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Ima park a little humor in all of this madness. UF eating popcorn behind the bar.

LSUpride123 likes this.