Boudin

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUfan71, Jun 18, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

How do you fine folks typically cook your boudin? A buddy of mine mentioned doing it in the rice cooker but I haven't tried this method.

I've got a lot of boudin in the freezer, and am scheming on the best way to cook it.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I've cooked a lot.....used to work at a lil Quick Stop. We'd bring the water to a boil, put the boudin in and let the water barely roll for 30 minutes. Be careful it's not "Rolling" too hard, the boudin will burst.

My sister recently told me it could be cooked for 15 minutes and be okay. I didn't believe it and we called one of our local stores who serves a lot and they said they, in fact, did only boil it for 15 minutes. I'd still do it 30 cause I'm hard-headed and have always done it that way.

1 person likes this.
  3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Rice cooker works well if it has a steaming basket. I've steamed both boudin and sausage in mine and it came out ok. But it's not my favorite way to cook it.

I prefer on the grill, but then again, I like everything on the grill. May take 15-20 minutes over medium-low direct heat. Just have to watch it closely and turn frequently.

If you like a lot of work, make boudin balls. Thaw it. Remove the stuffing from the casing and roll into balls. Lightly dust with flour, dip in an egg wash, then into seasoned bread crumbs. Fry at 350 for 2-3 minutes.

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

This is my favorite way to eat boudin. Do you serve them with any type of dipping sauce? I love that sauce they come with at the chimes.

5. TigerWins

I have a sweet and sour sauce recipe. It's really simple, but I don't recall the measurements off the top of my head. I'll post it later when I get the recipe from home. I like a sweet taste with pork.

I'll also post my remoulade sauce for those who don't like a sweet sauce.

6. TigerWins

Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce

I also use this recipe with sliced sausage or lil smokies in a crockpot. I also add chunk pineapples int he crockpot.

1 tsp cornstarch
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    2/3 pineapple juice - I usually use the juice from a can of pineapple
    2 tbl ketchup
    2 tbl brown sugar
    Salt to taste

In a saucepan, whisk cornstarch and vinegar over medium low heat. Add oil, pineapple juice, ketchup, brown sugar, salt and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Continue whisking until desired consistency. Add more vinegar or brown sugar to balance sweet/sour to your taste.

Remoulade Sauce

This is mostly used for seafood, but works well with boudin and sausage.

1 cup mayo
    2 tbl creole or dijon mustard - I'm not a fan of creole mustard, so I use dijon.
    2 tbl ketchup
    2 tbl horseradish - start with 1 tbl and taste before adding more
    1 tbl lemon juice
    1 tbl worcestershire sauce
    1 tbl hot sauce
    1/4 cup finely chopped onions, optional
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, optional
    1 stalk finely chopped celery, optional
    3 cloves minced garlic, optional
    Salt and Pepper to taste

I don't like chunky sauce, so I puree the onions, celery, parsley and garlic in a food processor. You can substitute onion powder, garlic powder, celery powder or salt, and dried parsley for those ingredients.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill for at least an hour.

7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Thanks

8. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Did something I have never done before and I dropped a link off in some frying grease along with some boudin balls. Good googie moogie that damn thing was snack. Might be dead by morning but I simply could never think of a better way to geaux.

Anyone else ever dropped a link in the fryer? Makes the casing all nice and crispy. I am dropping the other 2 links right now...

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

why didn't I think of that? fry the balls all the time. Duh! Gonna try it tomorrow night.