......Black and Gold.... The App State thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by APPTiger, Oct 24, 2019.

1. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

Could still do it but it wouldn't be easy. Have to have the blessing of NASCAR and that would require a lot of time and money. Might be cheaper to build their own and hire a driver. Only problem is NASCAR really wouldn't let them build their "own". They would let them build the same car. They control everything and it all revolves around controlling the cash.That's why technical set ups, tire and fuel management and pit stops have become so crucial.

Right on the mark about the changes starting in the mid to late 70's. That's the time frame I was around it. Champion spark plugs had been around since day one. They would give you plugs and technical help in exchange for you putting a Champion sticker on the front fender just in front of the doors (cowl area). Sometime around 1976ish NASCAR said they would have to start paying big money to have the stickers on the cars. They bailed. Manufacturers to some extent have done the same. Today they just pay money to have their name on it. I laugh my ass off when the announcers say "there are Chevrolets in the top four spots". They are all the same freaking car. Nothing remotely stock about stock car racing anymore.

gynojunkie, mctiger and Bengal B like this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Information on what it actually costs to run a NASCAR team is sparse; there's an unwritten rule that the teams don't talk publicly about expenses, and NASCAR even quit announcing prize money a few years ago. I did find an article that said BK Racing, a single-car team with several minor sponsors but no major backing, lost $19 million over 2017 and '18.

APPTiger likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I heard id said that the best way to make a small fortune in NASCAR is to start with a large fortune

gynojunkie and APPTiger like this.
  4. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

One friend driving, one in the passenger side back seat, and you have to ride in the bed of the truck with the beer. So what’s the problem?

GiantDuckFan and furduknfish like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do you trust him not to drink all the beer on the way?

6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

The ride home.

Bengal B likes this.
  7. APPTiger

It wasn't cheap in the 70's but it was about a million a year to field a top team.A bunch of smaller sponsors and one or two big ones, it was doable. It is my understanding that top teams today spend 500-700K per race week. Lower tier teams around 250-300K per week and that is per car. The last year I heard about major sponsorship costs it was about $6 million a year. And that was probably mid 80's. I have also heard that purse payouts today don't generally cover expenses unless you win or finish top five.

8. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-strange-true-historical-facts-top-25-team

[​IMG]
    2. Ohio State
    There might have been some disappointed students in Columbus, Ohio, in 1926, when Maudine Ormsby won homecoming queen. It's not because they didn't like Ormsby. It's because she was a cow.
    [​IMG]
    6. Oregon
    The Ducks started their football program playing at Hayward Field in 1919 and moved to their current home, Autzen Stadium, in 1967. The Ducks' stadium took nine months to build after breaking ground and cost $2.3 million.

A $250,000 chunk of that was donated by the Autzen Foundation and Thomas E. Autzen, who graduated from Oregon in 1943. However, the stadium is named for Autzen's father, Thomas J. Autzen, who was an alumnus of Oregon State.

The Ducks are 19-7-1 against the Beavers in Autzen, so at least there's no curse to be concerned about there.
    [​IMG]
    8. LSU
    Today, we all know LSU's Death Valley as one of the loudest stadiums in college football. It wasn't an easy beginning, though; the stadium's creation was impossible without the building of dormitories for students. Former Louisiana Gov. Huey P. Long wanted to fund a stadium for LSU, but wasn't going to be able to get the right funds from the state. However, he saw that there was enough for dorms, and had them built as part of a stadium to provide cover for an eventual expansion project.

The east side was completed in 1932, the west in 1935. In 1937, the stadium was finished with the completion of the north side. The stadium dorms served as "barracks" for ROTC students until 1969.

The dormitories were closed in the late 1980s, and probably for the best. It's hard to imagine getting anything done at a dorm in that particular location. Of course, anybody in Baton Rouge would probably be at the game, anyway.

[​IMG]
    24. Appalachian State
    In 1942, editors James Storie and Elizabeth South of The Rhododendron, Appalachian State's yearbook, found themselves one picture short of a balanced publication. They called upon freshman Lloyd S. Isaacs and Bill Mitchell of Observer Publishing for help.

What they came up with was a character -- Dan'l Boone Yoseff from Appalachian. The original image of the mascot now known as "Yosef" isn't certain, and according to App State, "Accounts mention a bookstore staff member generating a sketch, but an artist in Charlotte has also been credited with the creation of the mountain man."

No matter who created the original image, Yosef was enough of a hit to remain the school's mascot to this day.

9. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I lived in LSU's south stadium dorm for 1 year (fall 73- spring of 74). By far it was better than the prior 2 dorms I lived in. My room was directly over the visiting teams locker room.

ehusson80, APPTiger and kcal like this.
  10. APPTiger

The older dorms were the better dorms in every college I've ever visited. Bigger rooms, sinks and the really old ones had private bathrooms.