Birthright citizenship

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by dachsie, Oct 30, 2018.

1. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Trump is considering and executive order abolishing birthright citizenship. The 14th amendment states:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

So the bolded part there is what he is debating. Is someone who comes illegally "subject to the jurisdiction thereof?

I have mixed feelings about this. I could see denying citizenship if you are here illegally. But if you are here legally, then I would be ok with citizenship for your child. I understand why he is doing it. Just not sure this is the way to do it. It will be settled by the courts whatever happens.

This article explains it a little. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...b1HMmE0XZ4CjsvM1WTZLiK-i2r9O08uOzpL4v2_CyfU4w

Rolan and KevinWS like this.
  2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I just ordered a well reviewed book on the Rise of Adolph Hitler. I’m at the point where I need some context. I’ll post up when I finish that.

Rolan and GiantDuckFan like this.
  3. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

IMO, we need to adopt the policy of all other industrialized nations.

A child born of a non citizen can acquire citizenship if they meet these requirements:

1) one or both parents have resided in the nation for at least 8 years with a LEGAL permit.
    AND
    2) the child has resided in the nation for at least 8 years of their first 21 years of life.

The 14th was a terrible Amendment. The purpose was to naturalize children of the slave and work populations from Africa and China. It should have been handled with an ACT or EO, not an Amendment.

LSUTiga, Rolan and watson1880 like this.
  4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

There goes our chance of winning a World Cup.

If he issues an executive order, it will be overturned by the courts. The Supreme Court will eventually decide.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

dachsie, I agree with what you said.

I've always thought birthright citizenship was a romantic notion that in reality has lured illegals to America, and has added to our big mess, this needs to be changed,

el005639, kcal and Bengal B like this.
  6. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

As I read it, it is the “illegal” part that he is talking about banning.

Reality, he is just elevating the issue such that it becomes part of the national dialogue. He knows in o dear to do that, he has to make an outlandish proclamation to suck the media in to broadcast it.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

My thoughts are in line with @dachsie on the concept. However I have a real serious issue with attempting to use an Executive Order to bypass the Constitution. It continues the road to an imperial presidency and deteriorates the structures that made the US such a success.
    Amending the Constitution is hard and it was meant to be. The founding fathers did not trust pure democracy with good reason.

LSUTiga, GiantDuckFan and Rolan like this.
  8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

it’s all in the interpretation of the amendment itself

Is trump bypassing the constitution or is he upholding it

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I guess the SCOTUS will decide.

10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I think this is actually a good idea from Trump as long as it's for illegal parents, and hopefully the eo stuff is just a way to get congress off its ass. I really hope he doesn't use executive order, I have issues with how executives orders keep getting expanded 1 president at a time.

I also hope it includes a legal way for kids who were born here from illegal immigrants to become citizens when they are adults.