Big Eleven v. SEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerStagg, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek Freshman

I'm sorry, what was the question, again? NM

NM

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

cheif since you don't want to answer my question i will answer it for u. The last time the big 10 or whatever had a team finish number 1 in both polls was in 1988 when penn state did it. the only other time since 1980 was also when penn state did it in 1982. The last time the sec had one was in 1998 when UT did it. The sec had three teams just in the 1990's do it. The big 10 hasn't had one. looking at this i would have to say that the big 10 being a strong conference is a thing of the past. Although it isn't nearly as bad as the acc or big east it isn't nearly as strong as the sec, big 12, or pac 10. Oh just so you know, since 1980 notre dame has as many national championships, maybe even more, then all the big 10 combined. now you tell me which conference is stronger!!!!!

3. puttytat

puttytat Founding Member

tiger777......

not to mention that the SEC has a championship game to play. That's is another game to hurdle and offers every opportunity to ruin the team bidding for a national championship (just ask Tennessee). The Big 10 (or is it 11???) just has trouble counting.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Penn State

When did Penn State join the Little 10? The cited years (especially the earlier- 1982) probably occurred before they joined the Little 10 (now Little 11). The Little 11 is absolutely the most over-rated conference in the nation, and happens because you people are stacked like cord-wood up there and the media plays to your biases!!!!! By the way, Iowa is pretty dog-gone close to being as good as Vandy and Kentucky. Incidentally, Randle El sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek Freshman

Notre Dame joining Big Ten

So when Notre Dame joins the Big Ten in two years, where does your logic go? ND will be bottom dwellers (like Penn State after they joined), but according to your logic, the Big Ten will be MUCH better because its members won national championships last decade. Football is determined in the here and now on the football field, my friend.

Let's examine the Big Ten vs. SEC in Bowl games the last three years, shall we? Don't want to go there? I didn't think so.

The reason the SEC wins national championships is because there are only two good teams in the SEC...and yours ain't one of em. No competition for UT, UF (and FSU in the ACC) makes national champions.

The Chief

btw, catch my response to having my thread (the most viewed and ranked five stars) pulled by Sticky...or was it Slimy? Can't stand the heat? Get out of the kitchen!

6. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

As I explained in an e-mail to you, your thread was deleted because it denigrated to the point where you were accusing people of being homosexuals.

I also explained that you were welcome to repost your original thread topic, which I believe was a score prediction.

We've been extremely tolerant of your posts. Please post messages in the appropriate forums and try to remember that you are a reflection of your school when you post.

7. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

hey cheif you don't know anything about football!!!!!!! If tennessee and florida are so good then why aren't they sec champs. I arrest my case in that matter. The reason the big 10 has beaten the sec in recent years in bowl games is because ya'll have ya'lls second and third place teams playing our 7th and 8th place teams. You say that football confernces are judged in the present, then the big 10 is pitaful. Only one team in the top ten only two in the top 20, and only 3 in the top 25. sec has 2 in the top 10, 4 in the top 15, 5 in the top 20 and 9 teams in the top 40. still only 3 in the top 40 in the big 10. damn by this sec is still stronger. This is all according the coaches poll. oh and sorry to tell u notre dame will never join the big 10, they are way better then that. Joining the big 10 would be a slap in the face to them.If they did join some howi t would make that conference so much better. Even though notre dame is down right now they will be back, they always come back.

8. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

dang i was wrong about the last time the big 10 or 11 or whatever won a championship. It was in 1968 when Ohio State finished first in both polls. IN 1986 and in 1982 Penn State finished first in both polls, but at the time they were still independent. The big ten isn't dead and isn't overrated huh? They conference hasn't won an undiputed national champioship since 1968. since that time the sec has won 5. Since '68 the big ten has won a share of the title only once in '97 when michigan did it. That means the most the Big 10 can claim is 2 since 1968. The sec can claim a share in 7. now which conference is a better footcall conference? the facts are there cheif don't ignore them!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The SEC is no doubt stronger than the Big 10. The SEC is no doubt the stupidest too. 90% of your players would be academically ineligable to play in the Big 10

..................................Eat More Crawdads........................................

10. BubsLSU

BubsLSU Freshman

even though I hate to admit it......I do believe that LSU was preseason #12 and lost to UT and UF before the midseason point......