Best/Worst Movies of 2009

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Mr. Peabody, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Best of the Best

Taken
    Watchmen (Excellent movie. Excellent soundtrack. A very interesting story. The characters were also very interesting. Wasn't predictable. It was a pretty deep movie. I was really surprised. Expect a lot of good violence. It is a long movie too. I think it is about 2 hours 43min. It did get slow in a couple of parts. btw, this is definitely not a movie for the youngsters.)

Glad I Saw Them

The International
    Underworld - Rise of the Lycans

Eh

The Unborn

Blech

He's Just Not That Into You
    Feast III (Very disappointed with this movie. It was obviously shot when Feast II was filmed. They probably shot 4 hours worth of movie, split it in half, and decided to release Feast III in 2009. It sucked as bad as Feast II. I will say that I really enjoyed the original Feast. It was a decent monster movie.)

On the List to See...
    My Bloody Valentine 3D
    Friday the 13th
    The Last House on the Left
    Knowing

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Finally watched Slumdog. It was so good I had to start it's own thread.

I am with Cajun on this one, it's one of the finest films I have ever seen.

Even has subtitles in spots, which I actually liked the fact they spoke in their own native language for parts of it. The authenticity was a really nice touch.

3. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

I am a big fan of the book- it made Time's list of 100 Greatest Novels of All-Time and is deservedly on that place. An amazing work.

The movie though... I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Not in the purist "I can't believe they changed the ending!" (because what they changed it to was still fine- actually it was almost perfect) sense but "Really? Did we have to be THAT graphic (especially with Dr. Manhattan's frontal and the sex scene) with the whole thing?" What was originally a panel of a comic were transformed into shot after shot of this dude's large phallus. Really didn't like that. I understand also that a lot of people were ok with that- I wasn't one of the retards LAUGHING at it every time it was on camera- but I still think that they could have been a little less heavy-handed with it.

One of the greatest narratives I've ever read held up after the transition to film, but I was disappointed.

Fantastic, fantastic visuals though. And I too loved the way that they didn't have that typical hero movie soundtrack- they opened it up with Bob Dylan. Thought that was a stroke of genius.

4. Mr. Peabody

You were disappointed b/c you are such a huge fan of the book. Plain and Simple. The only movie that I've ever seen that was better than the book was "A Time to Kill."

btw, I never did buy Watchmen. I went a 2nd time to buy it and just couldn't make myself buy a graphic novel. Since then, a poster on a Longhorn board had it on line (Megaupload). He allowed me to download the book with a password. I will begin reading it soon.

5. Mr. Peabody

Yeah, I still plan to see it soon. Btw, every movie should have it's own thread. That's where the best discussions occur.

I just started a best/worst movies thread so everyone can kind of rate and keep track of all the movies they have seen for the year.

6. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I did buy the graphic novel about a year ago. The movie was better and this is coming from an old (reformed) comic book geek. If i had read the Watchmen back in the 80s I think i would have really liked it. Now for some reason I just found it way to slow and boring.

My only gripe with my trip to see the movie was that apparently the Rave at the Mall just forgot to turn on the A/Cs (or they are just too damn cheap.) Everyone in the screening was complaining about it during the entire movie.

It was a great movie and very well done. However it does not knockdown The Dark Knight and Ironman off the top of the best CB movies.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Took my wife to see Watchman. Bad mistake. Almost had to leave as she refused to watch most of it. It was a good story. Just too graphic (though I probably just sold the movie to most of you). And why couldn't they just put pants on the blue dude?

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Will have to catch Watchmen.

Watched Wolverine, State of Play, and Tyson. - Yes, I'm a terrible guy.

Wolverine - the most interesting of the X-Men movies. But I admit to not knowing any of his history(I grew out of comics before this was told). Only thing I did not like was Wolverine seems to be a bit too sensitive for my taste. Maybe it plays better and makes him more admirable. Otherwise, very good movie. I will see it in the theater.

State of Play
    - Ben Affleck is in this but he didn't screw it up. Russell Crowe does an adequate job. Has that "All the King's Men" feel to it. Very good movie and even touched on the emerging issue for print media having to pay attention to the bottom line and forget about journalistic integrity. Great storyline so I recommend it.

Tyson - Never liked this guy but always intrigued. basically a series of interviews and timelines of his career/personal life. Learned a few things. Almost felt sorry for the guy. Had Damato(sp?) lived, I think his life would have been so different. Easy to forget because of the freak show he became, but geez what a fighter. Highly recommend also.

9. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Saw both Doubt and Frost/Nixon this weekend.

Doubt was excellent, but Frost/Nixon I would put with one of the best I've ever seen. It may not necessarily appeal to everyone, but I absolutely loved it. I like Ron Howard's movies in general, but I think this was his best.

10. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

State of Play was great, almost fantastic- but the ending was terrible. Very anti-climactic feeling walking out of that theater.

Don't hate me, I'm not into guys- but 17 Again was a top-notch family movie. REALLY, really funny. And... Zac Effron is a really talented dude- danced, had some really mad BASKETball handling skills, and turned in a totally adequate acting job. I recommend it for families- and you won't be bored the whole time, promise. It was just like Bedtime Stories from the end of last year- I went in kind of wondering why the heck I allowed myself to compromise and see this, and left totally satisfied with the movie.