Best Tex Mex in Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 24, 2009.

1. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

There is one in New Iberia too that my parents eat at all the time. I've been several times and their food is pretty awesome. Not sure if it's owned by the same people though.

As for BR, La Carretta is probably the most overhyped restaurant in the entire city. Their food was awful, you get like half a serving and it costs about double what Las Palma's does. I'm pretty sure I could make better salsa out of ketchup and celery. I'd take Casa Maria, Las Palma's, Superior and Los Gallos over La Carretta any day.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The 2 best mexican restaurants are no longer in town.

Mamacita's where Buffalo Wangs is now and Casa Garcia where Ichiban's is now located. Casa Garcia has the best bean dip and I usually pick some up whenever I am around Metairie.

3. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

Does Beaumont count as Louisiana? :p

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My grandparents lived in Port Neches, Texas, a town in between Beaumont, Port Arthur and Orange. When their friends came over they would talk in Cajun French. MY PawPaw was on Social Security but he suppememted his income by catching shrimp and crabs in Sabine Lake and the gulf. And by trapping muskrats and nutrias in the marshy area across the Neches River.

It don't get more Luziana than that

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Carlos' near the Florida/Airline overpass was a damn good mexican restaurant that is gone, but his son runs Mestizo at the Acadian exit which is not bad at all.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Only if it has good food :thumb: Have anything to share. I have a brother who lives in Houston, Beaumont is a good stop along the way. Johnny Carino's is getting old.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Carlos' brother Ernesto (known as Big Ernie) still owns the El Rio Grande on Airline Hwy across from Cortana Mall.

I don't remember the name of it but there is a Mexican place on Coursey a few blocks from Stumburg Lane if you are headed east. They have very good lunch specials for $5. The first time I went there was on a Wednesday and they were selling margaritas for a buck apiece. The next time I went was some other day of the week and I drank 2 margaritas and when I got the bill I was charged $8 apiece for the margaritas. When I said something about it they said the dollar special was only on Wednesdays, so be careful of when you order.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

El Rio Grande is good (a hole in the wall); their chile rellenos are wonderful.

9. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

Not in Beaumont but on your way into Houston, if you get a chance, stop in The Woodlands and try Los Cucos (my advice would be the Chicken Fajita Poblano) or you can stop at Taqueria Arandas, which is open till 2 a.m.

In Houston we have Chapultapec Lupita on Richmond or La Tapatia Taqueria also on Richmond.

For cheap tacos go to Tacos-a-Go-Go on Main St. by 59. (Right next to the Continental Club where small bands play)

10. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Is the LaFonda on Airline still open? That place rocked when I was a kid.

:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige