Best Tex Mex in Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 24, 2009.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I'm with bhelm. Izzo's all the way.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't like those mondoburritos. It's a mess. But zippys makes fine taco's.

3. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I don't know how you could say Zippy's is bland and Izzos is not. Zippy's actually cooks their meats with spices whereas Izzo's just throws it on a grill. The chipotle ranch sauce at Zippy's is great on anything, too. The Nachos at Zippys blow Izzo's nachos away (Izzo's nachos are terrible, IMO).

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Ok awesome...

I do not know how you could say Izzo's is bland and Zippy's is not?:lol:

I like the ranchero sauce better and Izzo's does spice their meat especially the carnitas.

Go try a burrito in a bowl with Carnitas or Steak with corn, rice, black beans, guac, lettuce, onions, caramelized onions, jalepenos, ranchero sauce, a little salsa, and the tortilla chips on top.

I go to Zippy's when I don't want to wait in a line because Izzo's is usually backed up into the parking lot for lunch. That is not often however because I rather wait in a long line for food that is not bland.

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I usually get the Prix Fixe so it's something different every time. The one time I didn't, I got the blackened redfish. The Crème Brûlée and Bread Pudding are both pretty good. I'm not really a fan of their gumbo, although they like to brag about it.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Izzo's is by a large margin the worst so called Mexican food I have ever taken a few bites of and asked for my money back. Anybody who says they actually like the stuff (I don't want to call it food) at Izzo's must have a bad case of Dead Taste Bud Syndrome. I would sooner go to Taco Hell than ever set foot in Izzo's again

7. red55

I tend to agree. Izzo's does not appeal to me.

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

We have had a Coyote Blues in Lafayette for quite some time now and I understand one is or has opened up in BR. The one in Lafayette is very, very good. I highly recommend it.

9. red55

It's at the Acadian exit of I-10. Opening soon.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LOL we all have different tastes but I have more on my side based on the customer ratings I looked up.:wink:

89% Izzo's
    77% Zippy's

Baton Rouge Mexican Restaurants | Urbanspoon

eatrouge - mexican

Probably the reason the lines are longer at Izzo's and the reason they are popping up new locations everywhere.