Best Tex Mex in Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Bayou Bengal 72

Bayou Bengal 72 Founding Member

Superior is a Louisiana chain with locations in Shreveport, Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Birmingham. They also have a steakhouse in Shreveport that has the best bar!

And a former manager of Superior Grill in Shreveport opened his own place just down the road called "The Oyster Bar" which was originally a mexican themed seafood restaurant. I loved the Oyster Pearls, which were basically fried oyster nachos and also the Angels, oysters and jack cheese wrapped in bacon and battered and deep fried. Or you could get then mesquite grilled. The new owners though have slowly removed some things from the menu, such as the Oyster Pearls. But they still have great frozen margaritas.

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The Filling Station, Lafayette. Best enchiladas I've ever had topped with a mix of green and red sauce. Cest bon !

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Chile Verde in Monroe. A Mamá y Pop restaurante that has multiplied by three or four locations in NELA. Best mexican in Louisiana I have eaten, hands down and that's including Superior in BR and Shreveport, La Ceretta, Ninfa's, etc.

Not as good as what I have eaten in San Antonio, but closer than most in Louisiana...

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

That is the case with all the Baton Rouge staples. TJ Ribbs, Mike Anderson's, Drusilla Seafood, and Juban's have all been on the decline.

The best Tex-nex place I know of is La Casa Del Sol. There is one in Houma and one in Thibodaux. The lazy burrito is a thing of beauty.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Have not seen any decline at Juban's and I have been there a few times in the last few months.

Mike Anderson's was actually better than I remember it when I went about 2 months ago. Seems they revamped the menu and ingredients.

I can see TJ Ribs dwindling a little plus they are owned by the same company that owns Ninfa's so it makes since.

6. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Zippy's, on Perkins, is good for a short-order type place. It's 100x better than Izzos.

7. bhelmLSU

I would say the opposite.

But Zippy's does have the Redneck.

8. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Izzo's is incredibly bland. If that's what you like.....

9. bhelmLSU

I would say the opposite again. I think Zippy's is bland and the burrito in a bowl at Izzo's is the bomb.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I will give Mike Anderson's another try based on that. The last time I ate there was about a year ago and had two bad experiences back to back.

Juban's has been bad the last few times I went. My wife always gets the same thing. It has been either over salted are extremely bland the last few times we went. Most recently it was so salty that she had to send it back. Also they should give up on the shrimp and grits. Terrible. Hi jack over.