Best suggestion I've seen for expanding the playoffs without actually expanding the number of games

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 3, 2017.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Fify

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

[​IMG]

stevescookin likes this.
  3. didit

didit Veteran Member

also, no power 5 school should be able to play a Mercer level school past September unless it's a reschedule (like weather related event)...

el005639 and Winston1 like this.
  4. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

If 4 Super Conferences are created (as was discussed a couple of years ago), then this plan would work. The conference championship games would essentially be the quarterfinals with the winners moving on to the final 4.

5. lsu-i-like

That would suck. For all it’s imperfections, I like the SEC. Anything that transforms us into the NFL, no thanks.

didit likes this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Until around 1990 or so, every conference determined a champion without a championship game. Its doable

7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Ok but if it does not matter if you are champion. What difference does it make how you select the champion?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That would require them to be 16 members per conference plus Notre Dame. I don't even like 14 teams. 12 is the perfect number so that everybody plays everybody twice within a 4 year span.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Wait, I didn't say champions don't matter. Most of the suggestions being made here involve a selection process that includes conference championships in the criteria. But no one's questioning how the conferences determine their champions.

There've been a few comparisons to March Madness. I personally think the 1st round of MM is the best two days in sports every year, but one thing I don't like about the basketball process is automatic bids for conference tournament champions. Talk about devaluing the regular season....there it is right there!

Bengal B likes this.
  10. lsu-i-like

There is value in the conference championship, and determining on the field/court is better (and more fun) than reviewing metrics.