best seasoning mix..........

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Dec 2, 2004.

?

what's your favorite seasoning mix?

1. tony's

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. chef paul's

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. emeril's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Tony's is great and I always have some on hand, but there is a little company out of Gonzales or St. Amant that makes one called swamp dust that is heavier on the garlic and has a little touch of lemon that I really like.

2. Kkille1LSU

Kkille1LSU Founding Member

Slap Yo Mama sucks... Not even close.

3. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

While I do like Tony's, I recently switched to Zataran's. I find it's a tad spicier, with less salt. But, I do love Tony's, so next time the More Spice Tony's may be the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

The extra hot Slap Ya Momma spice is way better than the over salty national brands listed. They are the equivalent to McCormic "Cajun" Seasoning to me. I guess if I have to pick one of the three listed I'd say Tony's. There was a guy from Golden Meadow that I fished with that made the best I've ever had.

1 person likes this.
  5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I usually do what SabanFan described above. If I'm gonna use a mix, I spice up the flavor of life with Delaune's. My parents bought about 3000 bottles of the stuff when they went out of business. It is way better than the regular Tony's.

7. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Can you believe it, they sell Slap Ya Momma in Lubbock TX; not to bad on my Tots.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's made a couple of miles from my house. The guy who started it(Tony Walker- one of our ass't District Attorneys) is good friends with one of our judges who I know well- my father got him started in his practice after he left teaching to go to law school. Anyway, he (The judge) is used to love to say, "It'll make you want to 'Slap Ya Momma'" about different things in general. That's where the name really came from, not the story on the label. :confused:

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I like Tony's. I'm a creature of habit, and if I really like something, I don't try other things, usually. And I'm sticking with Tony's. I like the salt to pepper ratio just right.

I douse country ribs with Tonys and barbque them with my butter, sauted onions, quartered lemons, white vinegar barbque sauce, cook em slow on my gas grill, bout 2 hours worth. Uuuummmmm!!!

When I have tried "cajun" food outside of La (I don't anymore), its just hot sauce and not cajun. I tell people cajun has a lot more to do with butter, onions, parsley, onion tops (green onions for those not raised at my house), garlic, bell pepper, and SALT. Imitation cajun food just misses the whole point of it.

1 person likes this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yankee's will never understand this. "Spicy" is a lot more than just "peppery".