Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge and the Surrounding Areas

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by CajunPunk, Sep 16, 2009.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Personally, I have never been one to purchase Jambalaya...

2. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Well then the question obviously does not pertain to you.

Thanks for answering it anyway, though. Your answer was incredibly helpful.

1 person likes this.
  3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

My goal is to incite people into replying with equally useless posts...

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The one on Perkins Road sucks. The other ones I have eaten at are OK

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I went to the one on Government Street once at Saturday at noon. When I walked in and started looking at the menu, the feller says, "We're out of jambalaya". I turned around and never went back.

Popeyes never runs out of chicken. Mike Andersons never runs out of fish. Georges never runs out of Burgers. But the friggin' Jambalaya Shoppe is open without any jambalaya!

Not "We're out of chicken and sausage jambalaya, but we have a nice shrimp and tasso jambalaya". Not "We're running late and the jambalaya will be ready in about 10 minutes, sorry".

No. "We're out of jambalaya". I didn't come for Lobster Fra Diavolo and Chateaubriand, Alfonse.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyW6w5B7Aw[/media]

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The Popeye's in Baker once ran out of chicken, but told us that we could enjoy some biscuits and Cajun rice. Um...no thanks.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

At least that Popeyes in the video closed when they ran out of chicken. I don't expect to buy chicken if the place is closed.

9. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Sorry, but I just saw this, and thanks for asking. I didn't want to take her anywhere ordinary.

So I took her to Pancho's.

[​IMG]

Not really. I've been hearing on the radio about this place called Zea's, so I looked at the menu online and saw that it was her kind of food. A bit pricey ($70 for her and I), but the food was the best I have ever eaten at any restaurant. Now, I rarely have money like that to spend, so saying that it was the best doesn't say much, but I thought everything on the plate was incredible.

I got the rotisserie sampler plate that included a half a rotisserie chicken, a half a rack of ribs, a quarter pound of veal roast, and two sides (collard greens - the only thing that was 'meh,' and red beans). Mom got the ribeye (perfect and juicy) with the Zea potatoes. We also got an appetizer of hummus.

The atmosphere was great. It was dimly lit, and the service was top notch. It's definitely my new favorite restaurant.

But I'm sure someone will come along with something better.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

This is no BS. I once went into the Burger King on Essen and Perkins and tried to order a Whopper. They told me they were out. So I asked for a Big King or something. They said, "no sir, we are out of burgers."

So my buddy says, "how can you be out of burgers you're BURGER King? I guess you really should be called just King"