Best Restaurant in the City you are In Right Now

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by TigerBait3, Feb 27, 2009.

1. khounba

khounba Founding Member

We'll I'm trying Cafe JoJo this weekend. Other than that you have Ryan's, Shoney's, Quizno's, Waffle House and I think a Blimpies.

They used to have a pretty good seafood place but it closed not long ago.

If I can count fresh seafood boiled by myself I'll go ahead and put that as the best. :grin: Or I'll go with the docks on the river were they sell the fresh shrimp.

2. areed7

areed7 Founding Member

I can't help but disagree. My wife and I went there for our anniversary this past January. We spent well over $200 on the evening and I don't think it was at all worth it. However, the atmosphere is second to none, and the wine list is among the best I've seen. But when I see the wine at Spec's for about 30% of what I paid, I get a bit irked. The service itself was great, but they immediately identified my wife and I as not being regulars, and treated us accordingly. Now, I know how much money I have, but even if you as a waiter identify us as being unable to afford to eat there every weekend, don't preface everything you recommend before the meal with "now, I know this is expensive but..." They seemed to constantly be talking down to us.
    The food was good, not great. If I had to go for a steak, probably Ruth's or Taste of Texas.

Mark's is something everyone should do just for the atmosphere, but I think it is a bit overhyped.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

very tough one, i live in Pineville/Alexandria, not much to choose from, so i will have to go with Red Kettle.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No, Morgan City used to have several pretty good seafood places, but they've all shut down. We've got a decent steakhouse, Jane's, but they can be inconsistent in their cooking and service.

5. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

This is when I start refusing wines and asking for new bottles...

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Tunk's is my favorite in Alex.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

wow. checked out their website. beautiful place. I love people that think outside the box. Who would've thought to put a restaurant in a church. We will try it next time in Houston.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Christians, New Orleans, Louisiana. One block off Canal in Mid city. Don't know if they're open after Katrina.

9. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Speaking of restaurants in old churches, Christian's used to be great, but I haven't been there in about 20 years...they still have a web presence, though, so may still be in action.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Here in Wichita Falls, there are only 2 decent restaurants. One is Pasqual's. The owner/chef is Justin Lile, trained by Brennan's. His food is very good, but he has priced so high now that it really isn't fun to go there anymore.

Salt and Pepper is a Greek Bistro that is hands down, the best food and bang for the buck in town. No website, but reviews by the diff travel sites if you google them. Nice ambiance, excellent food and very friendly staff.

Other than these two, it's mediocre ribeyes w/ beans or so so mexican food. :huh:

Lisa and I have been seriously considering opening a Jambalaya Shoppe type business here. I have been cooking Jambalaya for large crowds since we got here in 01 and it has been really well received. A ton of folks have encouraged us to do it, but there are just so many ways to lose money in a restaurant! Not to mention that this is the most finicky town I have ever been in. Unless you are from one of the established "home town" restaurant families here, the cards are really stacked against you.