Best Po-boy!!!

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by BigWee_TEAMKATT, Dec 14, 2006.

1. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

A few year's back at an old job, I had to explain to a co-worker the difference between the two. I told her I was going to lunch and wanted a good po-boy, to which she answered there's the subway downstairs in our building. I looked at her in disbelief for a good minute, then explained what makes a po-boy what it is. She isn't originally from Louisiana, so I had to exonorate her for that.

2. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Its not a Louisiana thing as much as it is a New Orleans thing. There are many restaurants/eateries/etc in Baton Rouge that claim to serve po-boys. I have asked the server if it is a real po-boy with NO-style french bread. Nearly always to my dismay, I get some po-boy wanna be sandwich. I have all but stopped eating po-boys in BR with the exception of Rocco's, George's, and Mandina's. I'm just tired of the disappointment.

3. BigWee_TEAMKATT

Very true. In college at LSU, I struggled to find a good consistent po-boy in BR. Rocco's is one of the places I would go, and was the best I had in BR.

4. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

sammy's in BR has good po boys and bear's is the best in mandeville but monster po boys aren't bad either. also, saia's the grocery store does a pretty good ham and cheese as well as shrimp po boys. saia's onion rings are the bomb.com order the spicy.

5. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Patout's in New Orleans...and if anybody makes it to New Iberia the best PO Boy I have ever eaten was at Bon Creole.

6. BigWee_TEAMKATT

I think Monster's was the first place I tried when I moved here. Not overly impressed. Did you ever go to Petunia's? It was my favorite until I finally tried Bear's. I didn't know Saia's had a deli. I am gonna have to check it out.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

As far as I know, there are ZERO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH po-boy places in Houston.

There are freaking Afghani, Ethiopian, North and South Indian, and iterations of Vietnamese restaurants here, but NO po-boy places. Tragic.

If any of you know of one, PLEASE tell me. And PLEASE tell me they've got a good roast beef poboy.

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

well i think the last time i was actually at monster's it was the mid 90's. so don't know how they are now.
    I did like petunia's place. i forgot that one. also there a place on 59 towards 190 called bosco's that makes a good muffaletta. don't know if they have poboys.

9. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

They probably don't have the best po-boys but since this is a po-boy thread... Po-Boy Express has the best onion rings in the known universe. At least two locations in Baton Rouge and one in Denham Springs.

10. BigWee_TEAMKATT

Yeah, Bosco's is that Italian restaurant close to Mandeville Seafood. I've never been. But, if it's a muffaletta I am craving, I am gonna have to try it.