Best dog I've ever had is gone

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

My old Catahoula as had cancer for a while. She's been with me a long time well before kids and all. She was hell on a crippled deer and she really loved to catch a hog. Kids loved her and she loved them and she was a great home defender. No one who wasn't invited stepped foot on my place. But the cancer took its toll and I finally had to end her suffering Monday evening. Let the kids say good bye and when the wife took them to tball I gave her a meaty deer leg ended her suffering. I'll openly admit I cried like a little bitch which I didn't think I'd do. She was not the first one I've had to put down but she was the only one that's ever been truly my dog. Anyways....she was a great dog and I miss her but it was time. Few older pics of her. I didn't take any recent ones as she just wasn't the same dog once the cancer took hold.
    Day I got her
    [​IMG]
    Her first hog she ever caught she was 5 months old
    [​IMG]
    At 9 months she caught her first crippled deer
    [​IMG]
    And one just sittin on the porch with me one morning before the cancer got in her
    [​IMG]
    She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

Got a new Catahoula puppy over the summer that's doing good so far. He's at 4 months old now and is taking to finding deer legs and pieces of hide I drag and hide from him so hopefully he will turn out half as good as she was. Wish she could have stayed healthy long enough to take them together so he could learn from her but it wasn't to be.

fanatic likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Sorry for your loss J. That is always tough. Sounds like y'all did everything together. My condolences.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Man, I hate to hear that. It's always hard losing a pet that's a part of the family like that.

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Sorry to hear this. Will keep you in my prayers as I know how hard the loss of pal like that can be. I have 12 year old hound dog named Clyde who is like my right arm. Glad you got as many years with her as you did and it sounds like she was one happy canine.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Hate losing the good ones. Sorry for the loss to you and yours.

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

damn it's hard to lose a good friend but there's another that needs your guidance. best wishes

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Sorry to hear about you losing your dog. It's amazing how much they become a part of the family.

8. jvalhenson

Thanks for the condolences. Of course she's "just a dog" plenty folks are dealing with a lot worse but still sucks. Took the kids behind the house under some big oaks where I buried her and made her a grave marker with her name on it. Kinda finish it all off.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There's no such thing as "just a dog." From what you say and the pics she was surely a majestic beast

10. jvalhenson

Yea that's why the " " around it. One last pic of her in action on a shoat.
    [​IMG]

titoabad1 and Bengal B like this.