Best Boudin & Cracklins

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by ramah, Aug 1, 2004.

1. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

You know how it is. Its easier to give landmarks than street names... :thumb:

At least give Sunset a try. Only a hop, skip, and jump from Little Don's. {Shameless Plug} I will say this, Sunset does have a pretty wide selection of smoked products, and they do a lot of seasoned and stuffed items. Mini-stuffed pork roasts. Mmmmm.

2. LSU Stud

LSU Stud Founding Member

Sunset wins. I went through Carencro and Sunset on the way back to Baton Rouge and Sunset's cracklins are awesome, so is their boudin. Little Don's is great too. The 2 best places by far.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Now I know I have to get to Sunset!

4. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

OK SabanFan. Get in your truck and get on over to Sunset!!! :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words LSU Stud.

5. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Went to Opelousas. Kids ate all my stuff and kept saying this is good. Sunset next.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm in the Big Apple right now but I'll get there this weekend.

7. Linkster

Linkster Freshman

Boudin Reviews

Hey,

You guys have some great boudin info here. Check out our site www.boudinlink.com

We're trying to provide info on all the top boudin places.

We can use suggestions and other info.

The Linksters

8. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Well you're passionate to give Legnon's an "A" ... but if you coach at New Iberia (my dad graduated in '55 and went on to play for LSU) and you need a quick fix ... they're across the street

Man ... Legnon's has those taste buds all fouled up and sabotaged from eating there too much. You need a high colonic with a fire hose to get that taste outta your mouth ... and stay away

Just kidding ... "Liver N' Lips" Legnon's boudin is better than nothing, IMO, but just barely.

Comeaux's & Poche's gets an "A" :dis: ... you musta have used that damned dawg to do your taste tests ...

... you might as well give Nook's an "A" in New Iberia too ... he's still rustling hogs over there I hear ... but only on special occasions

A- Best Stop, Scott, LA
    A+ Don's, Carencro, LA
    B+ Romero's Grocery, Scott, LA
    A Legnon's Boucherie, New Iberia, LA
    C- Dave's Quality Meats, New Iberia, LA
    A+ Billeaud's, Broussard, LA
    A- Poche's, Breaux, Bridge, LA
    C- Lagneaux's, Lafayette, LA
    A Comeaux's, Lafayette, LA
    A Hebert's, Maurice, LA
    B+ Country Ridge Express, Opelousas, LA
    B- Don's Country Corner, Duson, LA
    A Earl's, Lafayette, LA
    B+ Early's Food Store, Scott, LA
    B Bruce's You Need A Butcher, Lafayette, LA
    B Menard and Miller's, Cankton, LA
    C+ Meche's, Opelousas, LA
    B Heleaux's Grocery, Lafayette, LA
    A Chop's Specialty Meat, Broussard, LA

This website gets an award ... for providing a base of 19 sites

You left out Ray's (Billy's Boudin there and a choice between 2 types of cracklins) and Sunset Specialty meats in Sunset.

Recommendation: Keep searchin' rookies, and save the A+ for something something special

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

ramah, whats your rating of Jerry's Kwik Stop? Its the only place in Baton Rouge that ever gets mentioned for boudin and cracklins.

10. sparkafatty

sparkafatty Founding Member

the guys on the list need to venture out of acadiana. The 2 hot spots in BR blow away everyone on the list.

of course Jerry Lees is one of em. ramah must have had a bad experience there becasue he shows jerry lee no love.... his choice, a bad one but his nonetheless.

the 2nd place in BR that beats everyone on the list is Ronnie's on fla. blvd. between monterry and sharp rd., right near broadmoor shopping center... Ronnies smoked boudin is kickin!!! be sure and try the cracklins too.. the most meat i have ever seen on a cracklin... awesome stuff.

I have TESTED atleast half the places on that list and i don't see how they got the ratings they did. One thing i have learned from this boudin thread is that theres alot of boudin out there and picking the best is a very subjective thing. everyone has a different idea of the best... but thats a good thing and speaks volumes about the quality of the boudin La. produces... we can not be beat!