Best board games, if anyone's interested

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

We play quite a lot. Nothing much more fun that to sit around a table with friends and family, laughing, shooting the breeze, and trying to outscore those others.

And before anybody says "Settlers of Catan"... get that crap out of here. Better than Monopoly (what isn't?), better than Risk (what isn't?), but after the charm of something different wears off you understand that it's too dice luck dependent. Not awful, but we don't go to it much.

Anyway, here are my favorites, none of which depend on dice:

Puerto Rico = the best of all. Not too heavy, not too light, multiple paths to victory, and is not overly long like some others. Best with 4 players.

Ra = excellent auction game. Plays in about 30-45 minutes. Best with 4 players but still very good with 3.

Ticket to Ride = great fun for all ages. Oh, no, she took the route I was counting on! Plays well with 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Dixit = nobody who plays really cares if he/she wins or not. It's all about drinking, getting creative, and laughs.

Really good filler card games: Sushi Go, 6Nimmt, Bohnanza, San Juan

Other good games, but heavier and lengthier: Agricola, Caylus, Power Grid

JUST SAY NO to Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Clue. Those things turn people away from board games as a regular fun activity.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I used to like Monopoly because I was good at it but it takes too long.

I would rather play cards than board games.

3. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

This game is a lot of fun,.. takes about an hour and a half to play,.. 3 or more people is best, but two can play. I highly recommend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Rex

Rex Founding Member

There's a Goodwill outlet store in Richmond where the workers put everything into bins and you rummage through them and then pay about 30 cents per pound for anything you want. So I went there one day and I found that same Acquire box... but the cards and pieces were scattered about in multiple bins, because when people tear through those they don't care on bit about putting board games back together. So, it took me about an hour to fish through multiple bins, through piles of junk, but I found all the pieces. Had to stack all the black property tiles on the board to make sure I had them all, but they were there... almost miraculously.

So, anyway, I've got that version of Acquire... cost me about 30 cents. LOL. And, yes, I like the game.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Monopoly sucks donkey dicks... seriously.

Because Monopoly ruined them for you.