Best 80's movies

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, May 17, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I was a teenager in the late-60's/early 70's and there really were not a lot of memorable teen dream films. It was past the Tammy, Elvis, and Beach Blanket teen film days of the 50's and early 60's. We watched rock music movies like A Hard Day's Night and Woodstock. American Graffiti and Grease were teen-themed 50's nostalgia films that we didn't really relate to as 70's teenagers. The Graduate we related to, but it was more of a college film.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I planted a few duds in there for fun, but I didn't think Stripes or Gremlins were among them. You must have never seen Eddie and the Cruisers. I will always like Streets of Fire, but it is pretty awful.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Yea, not a great period of time for this genre. Although I loved and still do love American Graffiti. My daughter loves Grease.

My favorite of teen type movie from that era is To Sir, With Love.

4. red55

It is very much a California movie. That era was very different in the deep south.

Good film from a movie buffs perspective, but we as American teenagers did not relate to those class-conscious British kids. We liked Poitier basically.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I tend to think that teenagers understand and recognize class issues. The Outsiders, Stand and Deliver, Dangerous Minds.

Hell even Splendor in the Grass from 1961 is centered around a classist theme.

6. red55

American class issues, yes. But the British class issues are very different, that is what I was getting at. It was hard to relate to those British teens and I was a teenager at the time.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The separation comes with race... Americans associate poverty and class with race. They just don't get the fact that other people around the world have been fucked over and taken advantage of for a reason other than melanin content.

8. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Don't forget Rumble Fish...

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

C'mon man, one of the few Springsteen songs I actually like

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I'm talking about the film, not the song from the best Springsteen album ever.