US Politics Bernie Sanders

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

My problem with Bernie and many of his crowd is that they try to compare the way things were in the 1950s, 60s, and early 70s with today and ignore economic reality. Yes it was good in the US back then. Workers wages were high and rising and the economy was exploding. We were basking in the glories of winning WWII
    However as nice as that time was for us it was an artificial place. Europe, Japan and Asia were in ruins. S America, Africa and the ME were not on the scene from an economic POV. S America continued and continues to this day to be dysfunctional and can't fulfill its promise. The others were still in a primitive state economically. WE HAD NO COMPETITION IN WORLD BUSINESS. This fact is huge as it gave us a tremendous advantage in rebuilding the world. Basically for 10+ years after WWII everyone had to come to us for goods and services.
    As Europe and Japan rebuilt and east Asia transformed we lost our premier position. This not because of what we did or didn't do but because the others became capable of competing.
    We have had to adjust to this climate change and many of the easy things we did no longer are available to us. That is why textile trade and other low cost industries fled or were wiped out.
    Another change wrought by this world wide growth is the expansion of transnational companies. Now companies have investments and ownership of businesses in many countries. They do have less patriotic loyalty to a single country. However that isn't necessarily bad. It gives them a stake in the countries and it is in their interest to see everyplace they exist prosper. I work for Siemens which grew in the US by buying other domestic businesses. They have invested $ hundreds of millions here and they have increased the number of employees of these units many times. This is not a unique example many major corporations have done the same.
    This is an evolution and has taken 30+ years so far and will take many more. It has been hard on too many people no doubt but a protectionist regime would be much worse. We in the US and all in the whole world are better off for the growth of competition and prosperity of other countries.
    That is perhaps why president Obama who campaigned against NAFTA and other free trade treaties changed his position and supports them even negotiating the TPP. GOOD FOR HIM!
    The world isn't static and we need to be light on our feet and be ready and driven to compete. You don't have a successful economy or country by trying to protect every little thing. We don't survive on participation trophies. We need to challenge our people and businesses to be the best. We need to give the the tools to win.
    It seems to me that Bernie and his ilk (there are similar beings on the right you know) while possibly meaning well are dangerous to our future. Yes there needs to be regulation and oversight but too much of those and too much protection are much worse than too little.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are way off base as usual. I am the guy who wants something between Sanders and Trump. I keep telling you, it is not a black and white world. We can have our cake and eat it too. You need to try to see the shades of gray, Cochise. I'm seeing the world in Technicolor and you must come along or live in monochrome.

3. red55

The paragraph is your friend.

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

All of what you said is true. The market changes, we adjust, we don't stand in the way of change. My dad started as a chemist for a textile factory. Then the entire us textile industry left and he moved on and worked in pharma. That's progress. We don't really have textile jobs anymore but we lead the universe in research jobs. So be it. Preventing this progress hurts everyone.

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

I hear ya, but on this issue you are on trump's team. He often talks about how he drives hard bargains against China because they are ripping us off. He even sometimes mimics the Asians he meets in business meetings, which is fun.

Herro, mista you Rikey deal? Ok sank you velly much

LSUpride123 likes this.
  6. red55

Its classic vaudeville with a bit of PT Barnum. Trump is great at bragging about Trump. I expect him to start referring to himself in the third person any day.

My ideas about China are far more complex than Trumps narrow viewpoint. He's just catering to the ideas that Joe Sixpack has always wanted to hear a politician say. You know, stupid shit that no rational person would contemplate. Have you taken a good look at his rabid fans? Geriatrics and dimwits, mostly.

7. red55

No one is preventing progress. You don't have to give up progress or resist market changes to enact smarter tax and trade policies that benefit the nation. It's Smart Government 101. These things evolve but a governments responsibility is to see after the nations best interests and that does not always mean catering to the wishes of myriad special interests.

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Our trade policy should be very simple. We have zero subsidies, zero tariffs, and zero restriction on import and export. Any business that want to buy or sell with anyone, is free to go nuts, barring any political issues like buying oil from Isis or whatever.

I made it to Denmark, flew overnight. it's a lovely place. One of the more pro American nations you can find. Love it.

LSUsupaFan likes this.
  9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Yes, it's almost exclusively non college republicans.

red55 likes this.
  10. red55

America is filled with Danish descendants like myself. Practically everyone with British heritage is largely Scandinavian, as well. The Anglo-Saxons themselves came from Denmark and were later conquered by Danish Vikings and still later conquered by Danish Normans. The Irish and Scots are top-loaded with Scandinavian genes as well. Denmark has fabulous people with a wretched geography, which is why most of them emigrated.

You are in the homeland, Wiglaf. Seek the dragon.