US Politics Bernie Sanders

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Many corporations take their profits overseas because our corporate tax rates are some of the highest in the world. It's not all capitalist greed. Just like you they try to minimize their tax liability in every legal manner they can. Is it patriotic? Maybe not so much but stockholders (especially the large institutions like Calpers, the union pension funds etc) demand returns and take their money out of underperforming business.
    It isn't as simple as he portrays it and you know better.
    US tax law is a mess and only a few brave souls in congress and the senate are brave or foolish enough to address it. There are subsidies that need to be reduced or eliminated and taxes need adjustment. The call to cut taxes isn't and hasn't been a reasonable position in 15 years. Neither is the one sided calls to soak the 1%.
    None of this seems to have any impact on Sanders' opposition to trade agreements. He is against them because of his economic philosophy. Anything he says otherwise is a smokescreen.

tirk likes this.
  2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

My question is why you want an American to take a job from a Chinese person who needs it much worse. Is it because the American is white?

If I have the option to purchase a Chevy made in Detroit, or a Toyota made in China, and the Toyota is cheaper because of cheap labor, do you think I should be banned from buying it to protect Detroit? What do I care about Detroit, I want a Toyota. What about my freedoms.

Also if you lose your job to a Chinaman, too bad. I am not gonna side with you just because you are American. If the chinaman works for cheaper I will hire him. I am not a flag waving prick that hates foreigners.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Since when are poor Chinese laborers rich?

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

They basically already are slaves, in the agriculture fields and the dishwashing stations of America.

When people say they do jobs Americans won't take, there is some truth in that. I would genuinely kil myself before working as a laborer picking fruit all day in the Florida sun.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Also a lot of them do jobs that Americans would take in the construction industry but they do it for a lot less money than Americans will work for.

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

I hear ya. I think it should be my right as a free person to hire whoever I want. If I need a shed built and some Mexicans will do it for less, I am paying those muchachos. Also Mexicans work insanely hard. Those guys who you can pick up for day labor outside Home Depot will work their asses off.

It doesn't hurt Americans to outsource labor, it helps us tremendously. The phones we have in our pockets would certainly suck if we bought American made phones for the same price. And every product we buy at Walmart would cost a fortune without Chinese labor.

I am all for American products, but choice is more important. I have some red wing boots I paid 300 bucks for that are made in America and will,last my lifetime. But I also have some 30 dollar sneakers from overseas that I could never buy from American workers.

When ford wants to move a factory to Mexico, it's not just corporate greed, it's that they want their company to survive.

tirk, Bengal B and Winston1 like this.
  7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think it is exactly that simple and he is calling for a better balance between the best interests of the nation and the best interests of corporations and wealthy investors.

Agreed.

We can't really have it both ways. The taxes that have been slashed have been the ones that go to corporations and the wealthy (the 1%). Restoring them to more reasonable rates will affect the 1% but it is by no means "soaking" them, they are awash with new profits from 20 years of fabulous tax breaks that need to end. They can handle it.

You can't know this. It is your assumption. But I'm not an expert on Bernie Sanders. What has he said that makes you think this. He was pretty clear in the debate, I thought.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Are you daff? It is because counties are expected to take care of their own people first. What presidential candidate would run on making things better in China at the expense of Americans? Chinese unemployment is their problem. American unemployment is ours.

No one is talking about banning Toyota's. Japan got smart and started building them here so that American jobs were protected and you can still get your Japanese car. No one is talking about protecting "Detroit" but protecting American jobs. High unemployment leads to a lot of things you won't like in America and American can't afford if it is to remain great.

It's not about hating foreigners, Goober. It's about taking care of our own house. I am not a self-serving asshole that puts his personal self-interests over those of the nation. Like most things, it is about finding the proper balance point, but egocentric ideologues can't grok this. It's all about them.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The guy who mows my yard is an American black guy. He charges me $40. A friend of mine who lives in Houston has a yard about the same size as mine. A Mexican mows it for $20. I need to shop at Home Depot.